Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hour Change

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My kids are used to them now. They know not to get up before the sun rises no matter how bright it is.

One of the kids has a blackout blind (one they suction cups to the window) but the other doesn’t…better sleeper anyway. I found it’s just a matter of reinforcing “see you when the sun is up”.

The clocks don’t work 100% because children have minds of their own but overall I certainly would recommend them as a big improvement on life without them.

Btw, they don’t automatically adjust for the change of the hour and so it’s possible to get caught out in October with an extra early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Good post imo.

People are always asked ‘do you want brighter evenings in winter’ but I’ve yet to hear the question ‘do you want darker mornings in winter’

If there’s one way to get commuters off public transport and back into their cars then darker (and colder) winter mornings will certainly do that.

Parents will not want their children going to school in the dark either so again even more cars on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There's a 10 min difference between Dublin and Mayo. Anyone on the island advocating summertime is advocating for dark mornings over dark evenings.

You keep bringing up the West coqst like it's Alaska.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's about seven and a half hours daylight during the shortest days - so sunrise at 10am means sunset around 5:30pm; it's a choose your poison issue, which is more important to you, light in the morning or in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're just cherrypicking there. Of course there's loads of daylight in June, same as there's feck all in December no matter what you do with the clocks. It's autumn and spring where changing or not changing the clock makes all the difference.

I'm not advocating year round summer time either, but year round winter time is clearly the worst of all worlds. We should change to winter time a bit later in the year and change to summer time a lot earlier in the year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement