Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

On the contrary. You seemed upset so I was just getting worried about your blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rules are actually very vague - I couldn't find out that he breaks.

The ref would have to give a valid reason for making Kane leave said field of play within the rules of the game and if he did and I was the person wearing it, I'd still wear it but then follow the ref's rules.

That way he's not only making the point about the intolerance, he's also making a point that he's only taking it off under duress.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I see where the English football team is chickening out of wearing the OneLove armband. It seems they were quite happy to wear it when there was only going to be a monetary fine. But FIFA is threatening the bould Harry with a yellow card before kickoff.

The English FA are ''negotiating'' over the issue. Now I am an agnostic on the issue. I think all of this having principles are put on. This only goes to prove it. They will wear the armband if it a fine but are unsure if Harry will get a yellow card. Where is the principal in that. If they had principles, there would be no negotiating just tell FIFA to f@@koff.

Everything about this World cup stinks. Quatar is dictating what can and can not happen. The European teams should show leadership.

You look back to the 1986 world cup finals where I think it was Peter Reid showed sports leadership. England were playing against a team that had kicked the. All out because a player of there was injured. The English player threw the ball back to the opposition so that they maintained possession.

If Harry had principles he wear the armband and take the conquences. But it similar to there hair and teeth it all about appearances as long as there is profit in it. The minute there is real conquences love goes out the window.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭Gusser09

This is the way it's going to be lads. When it comes to FIFA money will always win out. China will get a world cup in the near future as will other tin pot kips.

Sky Sports News doing a good piece now. One of the analysts calling it what it is. A climb down by the FA. They should of called FIfas bluff in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Stinks of Fifa waiting to the last minute to see which way the wind was blowing and Qatar Royals clearly telling them what is what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ah but you were triggered Jequ0n. We've all been around your strops long enough to know what we're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

So as long as the USA don’t do that, all is good 😳

Seems like a very low bar, and I personally wouldn’t be bench marking global human rights on Qatar’s appalling record.

Do we stop and wait for Qatar and Ian to catch up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why isn't the media just leaving this Muslim state right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The ref would have absolutely no choice, the reason is "valid".

Shouldn't be up to Kane, van Dijk, Neuer etc.

The 9 Associations should have it hammered it out well before a few hours before kick off, FIFA again have been beyond slippery, announcing policy at the very last minute and beyond.

But the way I see the fact that FIFA are making such a big deal over a armband is plenty negative in itself.

Not that anyone at stage is surprised by their corruption and cowardice.

It is, sadly, a very low bar but that's humanity for you. if we went down the road of 0% corruption we'd be left with pretty much zero options.

Who's Ian or was that a typo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

If we are that unwilling to respect the religious conservatism of Muslims then why are we so eager for them to immigrate en masse to EU countries?

If Bradford was an independent self-governing country separate from the rest of England it is doubtful, to my mind, that homosexuality would be legal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hey Furze. Do you not think the Iranians shouldn't be playing the English terrorists too, or do you think Yemen isn't a country?

Just checking, cos you seem to have ignored that point from when it was last made to you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I have been surprised how openly people are criticising Muslim culture.

Did they not know Muslims don't agree with homosexuality least of all gay marriage.

It's not - unless you use "dissent" then there's no law in the game stating that it's a yellow card offense (or at least I couldn't find one, feel free to prove me wrong). Even political messages previously have been delt with post-match, and not with in-game sanctions.

This is FIFA changing the rules to suit themselves and they'd by open to legal action. The problem is England kick off in less than two hours so there's no time for a legal challenge before the game and England (rightfully) don't want to disadvantage themselves so have taken the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Anyone notice that there was a whole bank of Qatar “fans” behind one of the goals, ALL wearing identical Qatar tee shirts. Not one “fan” wearing an actual football shirt, which is the usual attire of a majority of real fans. The tee shirts were a different colour from the team shirts, so anyone wearing a football shirt would have stood out like a sore thumb, but I couldn’t see any. Real fans ? I don’t think so. Wonder how much they were paid??

The armband should have been worn. Simple as that.

Qatar royals obviously telling Fifa officials they would be held directly responsible.

Saudi are due a bid for the world cup very soon. Watch this space lads.

The gay rep from Arsenal Supporters club makes a good point. Any country which deny minorities human rights should be automatically disqualified from bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is.

If Kane is wearing something that is not approved, he can be asked to leave the field of play and remove it.

I already explained how he could be booked for it.

Saudi, Egypt and Greek joint bid.

The greeks can't afford a litre of milk and Egypt is another kip for minorities. Should appeal to Fifa this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

How about this? Everything about this WC is sh*t. How it was bought, the set up for fans, the fact the venues should be surrounded by police tape because so many exploited third world labourers died there, the hijacking of the beautiful game by autocrats that are anti women and anti gay.

There is no redeeming features to this world cup. How anyone in good conscience can turn up at venues that are the sites of innumerable deaths so they can watch people kick ball is beyond me.

Why are you defending this farce only has one answer: you have a values problem and you'll accept anything. On you, not me. So yeah, you're engaging in edgelord bulldust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Lots of videos of "fans" arriving in Qatar from various nations (England, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Germany) - the thing is, all the "fans" are clearly Sri Lankan men just dressed up in different national jerseys.

Migrant labour was used to build this world cup, now its being used to support it 🤣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Wasn't there a hold-up to the 1978 Final over something similar - a player wearing a cast on his arm or a piece of jewellery or something?

The start of the game was held up until, as you say, the player left the field and removed the item (at the request of the ref)

Edit - yeah, from wiki "The Argentines also questioned the legality of a plaster cast on René van de Kerkhof's wrist, despite him having worn it in earlier games without objections, causing the Dutch to threaten to walk off the pitch; the Italian referee, Sergio Gonella, upheld the complaints and forced Van de Kerkhof to apply extra bandage"

So presumably telling the ref to sod off (the only other option) would be dissent and a bookable offence.

Football teams have for decades been playing the game in countries whose social and moral values are not in alignment with our own.

Nobody, not one person, complained then.

That's not to say Qatar are underserving of criticism because they are, but let's not suddenly forget the much bigger picture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

They are right to abandon the arm band thing.

They're there to play football, not to make political statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Forget about the armband, just get on with the football.

I agree mate. As we get further into the world cup the controversies and **** keeps mounting up. It's an absolute disaster. The time of year is actually irrelevant at this stage. What a shithole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,059 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Players should just play the football and get on with it. Most of these lads weren't even playing at this level when it was awarded to Qatar, its nothing to do with them. It's wrong to expect players to take a moral stand, they are just told the tournament is here, play it.

People like David Beckham should get endless **** though.

You didn't - you just said the reason was "valid" and left it at that (or I missed it).

Anyway, it's getting pedantic. It's not about the yellow card. Behind the scenes, FIFA have threatened off-field sanctions and England and other FAs have taken them seriously and backed down.

• Advertisement

I'm a member of the "LGBT community" and I abhor the idea of footballers making political statements such as bending the knee or wearing rainbow flags.

A small but very vocal minority push this stuff on everyone, assuming that we all believe the same thing.

Well we don't.

And as you say, footballers should not be there to virtue signal about how nice they are.

Advertisement