Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on reconfiguring home network setup with 1GB broadband

• 30-10-2022 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some reasonably comprehensive advice but in idiot language about how best to reconfigure my home network to work best with what I have following a recent upgrade to 1GB FTTH.

I suspect the current setup is either not correct or could at least be improved.

What I have is as follows:

Eir FTTH, Engineer recently upgraded the ONT box.

This connects to an Edimax 5 port 1GB switch.

From switch I have one cable direct to desktop PC & one to F2000 Router (I have a new F3000 which I intend to swap with F2000)

From Router I have one cable to Sonos speaker, one to a large format digital printer (HP365 Latex) & one to TP-Link AV600 Powerline adapter which connects to SkyQ box.

The only things we have connected to wifi are two mobile phones, one kindle, one birdbox cam (2.4ghz only) One Sonos speaker (connects to wifi web created by the other one)

That's it!

The only real issue I've had previously is that Netflix through Skybox tends to buffer maybe 4-5 times during watching anything. When I check the network speed in Netflix settings it usually shows about 50mb which I thought was slow considering a direct connection through TP-Link!

Since the 1GB upgrade I now appear to be getting an average of around 6-700MB at PC.

Mobile on 2.4ghz just got 60 down & 88 up sat next to F2000 Modem & 35 down 41 up in living room.

Mobile on 5ghz at modem around 300 down & 96 up then 250 down & 96 up in living room.

Netflix still showing around 40.

I'm presuming that I may need to reset the TP links or do something to them? Can't understand why Netflix still so slow? I'm thinking with wifi being so much quicker now that it may be better to connect to SkyQ via 5ghz wifi?

My only other slight issue is with the birdbox cam that it is 2.4ghz & I know if I swap to the F3000 modem I can no longer split the signals which means our mobiles will always be trying to connect to 5ghz so we can't then view the cam. Is there any way around this?

I realise the F3000 is not a great modem & have considered getting something better but in reality with what we have I'm really not sure it would be necessary to change it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about networks & find all the settings & jargon confusing so would really appreciate some simple clear instruction to help set it all up correctly & securely. We are located in a very rural location with nearest neighbour about 50m away so don't have worries about people piggy backing our wifi but would like to know we're safe from hacking at least.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'm presuming that I may need to reset the TP links or do something to them? Can't understand why Netflix still so slow? I'm thinking with wifi being so much quicker now that it may be better to connect to SkyQ via 5ghz wifi?

AV600 Powerline Wi-Fi Kit: TL-WPA4220 & TL-PA4010 - aren't they 100Mbps max? I suspect they are culprit - get rid of them or upgrade if cannot manage without powerline

My only other slight issue is with the birdbox cam that it is 2.4ghz & I know if I swap to the F3000 modem I can no longer split the signals which means our mobiles will always be trying to connect to 5ghz so we can't then view the cam. Is there any way around this?

see this thread helps https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058172341/eir-automatically-enabled-band-steering-no-option-to-disable/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Hi Smuggler, No actually the TP's are 300Mbps see attached screenshot showing what it is supposedly getting at the SkyQ box so why does Netflix only show 40 odd?

Do you have any suggestions on my setup otherwise? Do I even need the Edimax switch & if so might it be better after the modem?

You state Sky is on Ethernet cable to TP. TP specs state Ethernet port is only 10/100Mbps

300Mbps is for WiFi (max theoretical)

Plug pc/laptop directly into TP Ethernet port and run speed test.

OK, so this shows my ignorance! Yes it appears you are correct. That's very misleading & confusing then on several points.

It states also in the manual "This Powerline Adapter supports up to 600Mbps data rate over the existing household power circuit." I thought that Ethernet was faster & more stable than wifi?

I don't have a laptop unfortunately so have no way to test the speed like that other than via Netflix as mentioned.

One more thing... can you confirm that you are using Ethernet connection on your Sky and not WiFi. Plugged cable does not necessary mean you are using it

• Advertisement

600Mbps (up to, theoretical) is statement for connection over power cables between two TP units, not Ethernet, not WiFi

As per your screenshot it seam 257Mbps, so WiFi would be after that and Ethernet still reduced to up to 100Mbps.

Yes, definitely using plugged connection on sky. I've just gone to check & with ethernet I get around 49 on Netflix, It won't connect to the 5G for some reason despite 5G being showing as 290 on mobile in that room. If I connect on 2.4G Netflix is getting 15mb!!

Any idea why sky box won't connect to 5G? Do i need to swap the F200 for 300 now? would that help?

OK so re TP surely it should be giving better than 49 at Sky box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd consider replacing the edimax switch, I know from experience that some of their gear is a little slower than you'd expect. A switch is one of those devices that can totally screw up a network even though everything seems to be working. There are plenty of other cheap ones around I use an unnecessarily expensive one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QHD134G/.

For troubleshooting buy a really long ethernet cable so you can plug in devices that normally use home plugs and WiFi.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Do I actually need the switch? There are enough ports on the F3000

Providing TP interlink is 257Mbps, and you have connected Sky to TP over Ethernet, it should be ~100Mbps.

reason i ask if Ethernet is in use - your screenshot show two TP's but does not show any other devices connected(i guess it should, perhaps it does on other section...). From here i question if Sky is on WiFi to F2000 and due to coverage is slow.

If you say it is on Ethernet then im not sure where ~50 comes from, try different cables(both ends), try different port on router.

Try different device on TP - take it to the room where PC is and connect, if dont have long Eth cable.

Try reset Sky network settings and start with Ethernet connection only.

One thing at the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement