Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro computers used in Irish schools?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

That's the game: Dragons World! Any time I searched for "dragon tooth bbc micro" that other text game kept coming up. Can't believe it. I was probably 7 years old when I last played in first class and still remember it. Damn tear in my eye watching that video :D

Thanks Bucko!

Sorry I've no clue about the dragon monkey pole treasure room backwards alphabet game(!?) but I'll do some research!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

We never had anything in National School, but in Secondary School we had the previously mentioned separate small building with some BBC Micros and others i cant remmeber.

Generally we were just using a typing tutor, shame as the building was then locked , shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I entered primary school in 1991. I remember my school had 2 BBC Master computers, one green screen and the other was orange i think. There was an Acorn Archimedes A3010. And we got two Apricot Windows 95 PCs presumably in 1995 and they were an exotic marvel at the time.

Post edited by Girl Geraldine on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

RM Nimbus (https://www.thenimbus.co.uk/range-of-nimbus-computers) I think in 1990. We had two with colour and the rest were green!

We had a BBC Micro 128k in the local library with a very limited selection of 'educational' games - I don't know how the 5 1/4 in floppies survived with all those fingerprints on them. They made using the microfiche scanners beside the computers seem exciting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Primary School was a few BBC Micros I think . Secondary school didnt have any afaik ,(although there were groups of 8 bit computer owners all in their own turf war , I was in the Atari gang(800xl!) , but eventually we converted over and joined the Commodore lads ...we avoided the Speccies though , with their colour clash and rubber keys!)

College was a few old 8086 machines connected to telnet (which with the right , finely tuned 5 1/4 boot disk would be perfect for MUDding) and a lot of 386s running Windows 3.1 all hooked up to the one networked CDrom drive! (this was early 90s ) .

CD-ROM on a network - that must have been slow!

I remember looking at some of my father's programming guides which covered the BBC and Spectrum, you know then ones where you'd type in the program off the page and then have to wait for next month's update to correct whatever bug you encountered - and the Spectrum had all of those funny boxes in the commands like: echo <square box> <stairs left> <blank square> <filled-in square> <stairs right>. It made for interesting looking commands, but hell, how did that work!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

1x Speed CD-ROM - a blazing 150 KB/sec :)

Was that magazine/book "INPUT" by any chance? http://8bs.com/inputmagazine.htm - I've a 'lovely' full set in 4 of their binders, very 80s :)

The strange characters on the Spectrum, almost as hard as the strange characters on the C64 when trying to type in a program as I recall.

Hey - ha! That's it! 150kB/sec was in my mind when I was typing that! And it was INPUT magazine too!

You must be my digital-twin! 🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement