Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Midterms 2022 - Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

When is it all over and decided?

How about the Democrats win everything then use their power to steam roll all of the policies that they want.

Does anyone know what actual policies they or any of the candidates have?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you having a f*cking laugh?

You’ve been told about Democrat policies for months now but as per usual you ask questions and you don’t give a damn about the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You've already said it, but that doesn't mean it's true. MAGA and anti woke are two cheeks of the same arse as they're just policies to attack 50% of the electorate, not actual policies for governance. That's what motivates independent voters (and wins elections), policies that benefit America as a whole, not that petty tribal crap

I love how your trump card (pun-intended) is Ron DeSantis.

Ron DeSantis, the fella that won a governor's race, that he was the overwhelming favourite to win, in one state out of fifty.

Is that what the midterms have reduced you to?

Democrat policies are a mystery as far as I can see.

Hopefully now that they have more of a mandate and a grip on power we will see some enacted and progress made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, for extra credit, TFG might've gotten him in trouble wrt his election in 2018, bragging on how he used the FBI to influence voting in Broward county.

TFG wrote: "I was all in for Ron, and he beat Gillum, but after the Race, when votes were being stolen by the corrupt Election process in Broward County I sent in the FBI and the U.S. Attorneys, and the ballot theft immediately ended, just prior to them running out of the votes necessary to win. I stopped his Election from being stolen."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah I'd say she'll be especially delighted if they win the runoff as it means that she won't be shackled to the Senate for the next 2 years.

Giver her more time to ratched up her own POTUS campaign, or work on Biden's. All good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump already starting fund raising for Walker in the Georgia election, good job he's not a grifter right?

Rude Pundit with a (NSFW) summary of the midterms:

I especially like his summary at the end:

However, the real problem isn't that Republican politicians suck. No, the actual blame belongs with their voters, as it always has. You don't get off the hook because you supported absolute garbage candidates like Blake Masters or Lee Zeldin or Kari Lake or Dr. Oz, for f0ck's sake. F0ck you for being so gullible, so simple, so hateful that you'd rather put Doug Mastriano in office than someone who actually gives a sh1t about your problems, like Josh Shapiro (unless your "problems" include critical race theory and drag queens, in which case, grow the f0ck up, you idiot children). F0ck you for thinking that Fox "news" and other assh0les tell you anything about what the world is like. Kids claiming they're cats and sh1tting in litter boxes? Goddamn, how do you look yourself in the mirror and not laugh at how dumb and debased you are for believing things like that. Join reality or go live on f0cknut island somewhere, unvaxxed and uneducated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you've locked yourself into a Trump echo chamber, then yes, you won't have seen anybody the policies that other posters have linked to or pasted multiple times.

So, are you locked into that echo chamber, or are you willing to engage on the policies when they are discussed in the future?

Or is it another 2 years of approval ratings?

You have to freely admit that your predictions from the last 6 months have pretty much all gone significantly ar*eways.

The question should be why and what data point you've been consistently missing (even taking the adversarial nature of posting on a forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

If Trump fails to get the republication nomination, I actually can't see him running as an independent because he has absolutely no chance of being reelected without the support of the ordinary republicans who will vote for the republican nominee. He'd do better than other independents in past elections because the MAGA lunatics and election deniers will vote for him no matter what, but I can't see Trump entering a race knowing he'll loose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I doubt it, it would cost him money and he'd need to put his own effort into it.

He'll try (and maybe fail) to sell his endorsement depending on how the primaries go then go back to shouting angrily from the side-lines.

He'll drag out the legal proceedings till his death, he has enough cult-like supporters to keep that going for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yeah does anyone remember the last Florida governor that Republicans expected to sweep to the White House in 2016...

DeSantis will get destroyed in the primary if he goes against Trump and his political career will be Ted Cruz'd. Already the sanctimonious nickname is sticking and we haven't had one debate lol.

DeSantis is a political unknown to most of the country certainly outside hardcore Republican circles. The odds on him beating an incumbent President in Pennsylvania/Arizona/Michigan and Wisconsin (which he would have to do to get to 270) are low. You likely won't have inflation in 2 years either and most likely lowest unemployment ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The only reason Trump may run is desperation - he knows it’s his last chance and it will keep the political donations coming in and potentially offer him protection from on going legal proceedings.

I hope he does. The big takeaway from the mid terms is Trump is done. A loser and Americans hate losers.

I would prefer to see Trump defeated in the primaries than in a general election. It would deny Trump another general election platform, and would clearly demonstrate that the GOP have entered a new chapter without him. He'd absolutely hate that. Another advantage of Trump not getting the GOP nomination is that it avoids his inevitable claims of voter fraud in the general election if he looses.

• Advertisement

When has trump ever been a winner? Aside from 2016, the only thing trump has excelled at is spending his daddy's money

And the only reason he was a winner in 2016 was the bizarre electoral college system. A few million more voters wanted Clinton to be president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,839 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

virtually all of your conclusions and projections about this election were wrong because of whatever set of media or data you felt was going to make this a red tsunami etc.

While it’s great to see you’re quicker to accept the reality than most, it’s a very dismissing of the personal conclusions made from one’s own personal consumption of media and the propagation of their own personal takes, especially prior to the election.

At the same time other people urged caution and advised we haven’t had an election that tracked polling predictions since 2014. So it’s a bit off to blame your wishcasting on the pollsters.

Even Democrats expected a red wave, despite their onscreen statements.

Let's not rewrite history here.

A tiny minority of people "predicted" what has happened in the midterms. And those predictions were more or less lucky guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

While it’s great to see you’re quicker to accept the reality than most,

As much as @eskimohunt has pretty much no opinion that I agree with I think he deserves respect for changing his mind when faced with a loss and not just closing his account or disappearing off the thread. He stays and still fights his corner and that's what discussion forums are about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,839 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m still gonna say this huge dip in Russian morale was caused by the midterms: Russians now know the GOP won’t be able to defund US/NATO support so it’s time to launch the nukes

They weren't 'lucky guesses'. There are some who have formed their projections based on actually looking at what was going on and not on polls which completely under-polled single women and Gen Z.

And, for the record, I wasn't one of them. I expected the Republicans to take the House and I expected them to take it quite comfortably. This hasn't happened and there are many people out there that are calling it well before the networks are.

This guy below has got his forecasts a hell of a lot closer than RealClearPolitics, FiveThirtyEight and pretty much all of the networks and he explains how below:

That's not luck. Far from it.

The guy above reckons the Democrats will keep control of the House by 2 seats. Before counting even began, he predicted it would be a 2-6 seat majority for the Democrats.

Nobody has that much luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah it is a phenomena in elections that some people want to be on the 'winning' side and they go out and vote accordingly. Ive seen it referred to in political science as the horse racing element of elections, some people want to feel that they 'backed a winner' to make themselves feel better about themselves or some such. One study I saw said the phenomena is especially prevalent in the final few days of a campaign when people get swept up in the emotion and blanket coverage of it and it can even bring out people to vote who didnt intend to vote because they want to be on the 'winning' side.

We had it here to some extent with Fianaa Fail during the Celtic Tiger when there was a certain fervour to vote for them as the 'winning' party. It is all a bit stupid but it can definitely happen.

There's a ton of posters who can't go an hour without mentioning that guy. I'm not one of them. Nor was I.

I can't say I saw any of these policies. Sure let's see what they do. No excuse now the mandate is there.

• Advertisement

You have had policies pointed out and explained to you multiple times.

You chose to ignore them and not read them because you don’t actually care. That’s the fact of the matter here. You don’t actually give a damn what their policies are and you just want to make noise.

And no, I’m not going to show any of the policies to you because you’ve just proven that any previous attempts to point this to you have been nothing but a waste of time.

Pull the other one, seriously. Your lies that you haven’t seen any policies are fooling nobody here.

Advertisement