Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Midterms 2022 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah the youth :)

That's a good segue

“As an 18-year-old, I remember thinking, ‘What are you doing here, dude?’” one former student said.

Ms. Minis said that when she was a senior, the fall after Mr. DeSantis left, she found a memo on a teacher’s desk reminding the staff that fraternizing with students was inappropriate, even after they graduated.

This is Governor Ron DeSantis, 20 years ago, when he was a teacher at a private school. These are apparently some of his students. New York Times reports.

"Mr. DeSantis’s office did not respond to requests to discuss his year at Darlington, or his students’ recollections. The governor does not include his year as a high school teacher in many of his official biographies, and does not appear to have spoken publicly at length about his time at the school."

“Mr. Ron, Mr. DeSantis, was mean to me and hostile toward me,” said Ms. Pompey, who graduated in 2003. “Not aggressively, but passively, because I was Black.”

She recalled Mr. DeSantis teaching Civil War history in a way that sounded to her like an attempt to justify slavery.

“Like in history class, he was trying to play devil’s advocate that the South had good reason to fight that war, to kill other people, over owning people — Black people,” she said. “He was trying to say, ‘It’s not OK to own people, but they had property, businesses.’”

"The Civil War was not about slavery! It was about two competing economic systems" he can be heard saying according to NYT obtained video.

The school confirmed DeSantis taught classes, 2 sports, and performed 'dorm duties.'

No, no, no. That's not how justice works.

Do you have any evidence, or links to any evidence, that Ron DeSantis has done something criminally wrong?

Oh heck no and neither does the NYT but I thought I would quote how they were laying that pipe. They footnote the piece with some quotes that 'ron was a nice guy we did better at sports' etc. but the damage is the thrust there.

He probably shouldn't be at parties with his students, graduated or not at 23. But the Times couldn't dig up anything worse than that mention of a note which is no smoking gun.

There's nothing criminal with his take on the civil war it's just whitewashing what the fundamental difference was between 2 said economies...

I don't think this will swing the vote on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

None of that matters, evidence or such...

HE will be the front runner, we will see the media up the ante on him, I read not so long ago, in a respected Irish broadsheet, that DeSantis is a quasi-fascist white supremacist...it was a complete joke!!!

The big problem the media have is that they have lost their ability to influence elections is the US and UK. It's the poor people who swallow this nonsense you have to feel for, it's not a nice place to be when you realise how deceived you've been by your trusted news source.

When the far-left call anyone a fascist, it usually means the recipient of that smear is saying something right.

DeSantis will get the whole fascist treatment but all the work is done for him. The far-left are the greatest recruiting sergeant for bolstering Republican support.

Most reasonable people don't see Republicans as fascists and so when the far-left engages with this kind of mindless rhetoric, they're insulting ordinary people who may be sympathetic to just some Republican views.

The reason Republicans are going to do well in these midterms is not because they are amazing candidates, but because the far-left is so extreme and so bizarre and so anti-reality that you almost have no choice but to vote against it.

Bill Maher put it well the other day:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I didn't suggest that anyone in this thread is far-left. That said, I'm not suggesting they don't exist because they may very well exist.

I was specifically talking about the US midterm elections and Ron DeSantis' prospects.

So nobody here has called DeSantis a fascist but yet you went on a rant as if he was called a fascist anyway.

Do you ever get tired of being offended on behalf of those who are pieces of sh*t?

Ron DeSantis has been routinely called a fascist over the past number of years, by the usual suspects.

Berkeley Professor, Robert Reich, is one of the more prominent examples in recent months:

So no, you're wrong. Again, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Advertisement

Anyone HERE, I said. Not some no mark you found by typing ‘DeSantis fascist’ into Twitter.

Ive seen loads of people online calling Biden a fascist but I don’t accept that’s the majority view, so I don’t pretend that it is.

Seriously, calm the f*ck down with the rhetoric.

The subject of the US midterms and Ron DeSantis is an American question, and so limiting the discussion to what individual posters say here does a disservice to what's actually happening, you know, in the United States.

It's funny that you say, "...calm the f*ck down", without realising the irony of your words.

My points stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

See this? It's honestly like satire. DeSantis promoting liberty and independence was supposedly something dark and scary.

This comment summed it up best:

Honestly their primal fear of not being able to control others is both astounding and absolutely hilarious

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Well he is quasi fascist and a closet white supremacist. 😶

His political use of law enforcement for example and his comments above to his black students.

I didn’t call him a Fascist though. Quasi fascist. Keep up.

By referring to DeSantis as quasi-fascist, you are deliberately aligning him with Hitler, Mussolini, and Joe Stalin; people who have collectively killed tens of millions of people.

That's the purpose of the smear, otherwise you wouldn't have raised the word fascist in whatever form it took.

And that's your right to do so.

But as I said earlier today, the greatest recruiting sergeant for Republicans is the far-left because, through this kind of extreme language, it only isolates them further and makes Republicans appear far more rational.

Another ad that could easily be satire. Truck driving Trump supporter hunts down minority children for fun.

America truly takes madness to another level and sadly many Irish people are following their path.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Gosh you love taking every tiny thing to 11.

By this measure people link Biden to Hitler etc. so moot and null.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Why would anyone vote Republican? They are the cause of every problem in the world today .... I'd rather vote for the toilet ...

America is crying out for a 3+ party orientation ... a third and moderate party is needed and fast ... the Republicans of Gilead = war mongers, liars, conspiracy nutjobs ...

• Advertisement

I legitimately loathe mainstream Republicans, for very different reasons than you though. But will you show us your work? How are they cause of every problem in the world? Yes they are traditionally war mongers, but so are the Democrats. Trump Republicans rose to power because they were sick of the old ways, where wars took center stage, and the people sat at the back being ignored, hence the revolt.

TOTALLY agree - but instead of toilet I wrote in INANIMATE CARBON ROD in every race where a Republican was unopposed, when I early voted.

What you say is correct ... that is also why I say that a third party is needed ... the current Republicans are awful and the Democrats only marginally better ... warmongers all ... the evidence of them causing ... or contributing at the very least to every major problem ... is all around ...

The 2020 election denying, the 2021 January 6th carry on ... all that promotes violence and division ...

The 2018 withdrawal from the Iran deal/subsequent sanctions ... caused hardliners to hijack Iran's presidency and parliament ... leading to the current situation ... The Democrats did not end the sanctions though ... which is again why I do not rate them much if at all different to the Republicans ..

Trump was too pally with Putin ... had his own gripe with Ukraine .. I'd love to know what both talked about behind closed shutters in Helsinki that time ...

If I was American I'd refrain from voting ... Willy McToilet all the way for president !!! He cannot be much worse ...

You've mention three things, and none of them come even close to establishing that they are to blame for all of the worlds problems. You were obviously being dramatic, but even if we focus on American alone, I'm not sure how you think you've supported your assertion.

Election denying: Both sides play that game, I posted a clip on this thread earlier with the Democrats doing it over and over. J6 was obviously bad in isolation, but nothing really happened since that "promotes violence". It was widely condemned by nearly every Republican too.

Iran: Iran is an Islamic sh**hole as Trump would say, it's been hard-line long before 2018.

Putin: Maybe so, but we know for a fact that Putin didn't attack Ukraine during Trump's reign, he waited until he was gone, which brings into question how friendly they were. Wouldn't it have been wiser to attack when your "ally" was in power, which would make the attack have a higher probability of success?

America is a superpower .... and has been a major causer of problems since WW2 .. or at least has been involved in them ... that whole cold war thing ... apart from natural distasters, etc. that thing has caused most of the world's problems ...

Iran has not been hardline during all of its history ... in fact there are 2 factions fighting for dominance there ... one much more moderate than the other ... every time the moderate faction has the upper hand the US has called it Axis of Evil, put on sanctions, withdrew from the deal, etc. and handed a cause to the hardline faction ... lest not forget that Kermit Roosevelt kid back in the 1950s ... interference and demonisation of Iran has caused these problems ... the same goes for how ISIS and Al Qaeda came to be ... all the cold war and the hot wars in the Middle East too ...

The Ukraine war escalation ... the war is goingon since 2014 ... may or may not have happened before 2022 ... but Covid 19 was at its height in 2020-21 ... but who will benefit most from this war? The Republicans and the far right in Europe is who ... it could all be the plan ... hard to know ... this war may have been launched to cause a deliberate reaction ... to enable a longterm goal of helping the European and US far right ... it may and probably is not really about Ukraine/Russia at all and the people of both are just cannon fodder in a global aim ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

lol , Democratic are in power not Republicans therefor its obviously the Dems if any party is responsible for "every problem in the world"

What you see here is all left-wing / Democratic extremist violence . America is in serious trouble if the Dems take bad losses in the upcoming elections

Democratic extremist violence . America is in serious trouble if the Dems take bad losses in the upcoming elections

We agree on this for polarized reasons ;)

(But yes, that's indeed a riot that happened alongside the inauguration and it was contemptible - if they had actually disrupted the inauguration yes I would have expected inquiries)

This video shows why Republicans apparently don't often try to be true representatives.

I mean, he clearly understands the true job of a Representative, but he's going to probably figure out that the Republican platform often makes them such adversaries of their own constituency.

Des Moines Register may be in for a legal shitstorm after allowing its own presses to be used to distribute an actual fake newspaper chocked full of election disinformation

• Advertisement

I can laugh and eyeroll at a lot of shyte in politics but this actually boils my piss. This morning I woke up to the headline that Nikki Haley called for US Senator Raphael Warnock to be DEPORTED, at a Herschel Walker rally on Sunday night.

She's not just the fmr. governor of SC, or a fmr. Ambassador for Trump early in his term, but she's a board of trustee member for Clemson University and as an alum and having much ties to the University it incensed me that these would be her comments, she also received an honorary degree from the university in 2018 yet displays a total lack in second degree thinking.

The campus is on fall break, but I've been in touch with the secretary of the university president to solicit a comment from him about the matter who assured me he would receive the message. I also got in touch with a former president of the Clemson staff senate for her response (clear disapproval) as well as the alumni association and the board of trustees administrators office.

Advertisement