Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Car Insurance while living in uk

• 31-10-2022 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all…does anyone have experience or advice about this

My Dad has given me his car and we want to leave it in Ireland as a run around for when any of us are at home…He doesn’t have his license any more and his insurance is over..

I live in the UK and am having a right headache getting insurance either full time or part time when I would be over there…Ownership of the vehicle would be transferred to me etc and we only would be using it the few times we are back home.,

I have been told I have to be in Ireland for over 6 months of the year to get insured there…There must be thousands of Irish people living abroad who are insured at home??

Anywsys thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated

All the Best!!

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your dad should have kept his policy active and put you and other family members down as named drivers. If he was insured within the past two years, he should still have his no-claims discount. If the policy has open driving so anyone with a full licence and who is over 25 can drive it, tell him to get a neighbour to give it an occasional spin to keep the battery topped up.

Or, if your father is ok to do an occasional short drive, tell him to renew his driving licence. It can be renewed if it isn't more than 10 years expired.

There must be thousands of Irish people living abroad who are insured at home??

Your experience says otherwise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

As you are discovering, there are very few expats taking out Irish car insurance to cover then for the couple of times a year they are back in Ireland, because it makes no sense to pay all year round insurance to cover a couple of days a year. Most people are named drivers on Irish policies and assuming the are located in the EU/EEA/CH or it was pre BREXIT this works. I don't know what the position is post BREXIT, that is something you'd need to check with the insurance companies.

@coylemj has given you probable the best suggestion for now. If that does not work then go to a broker, there are some companies that cover such risks, but expect to pay an arm or a leg for it.

Just for info: be aware that as the resident of a third country driving such a vehicle across the NI border or on to the UK mainland could result in fines and penalties as it will be deemed to be an illegal import of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 usa101

HI am wondering if someone could offer some advice. I am an Irish expat living in the states. I come home about 4 times a year and would love to buy a car for when i am back. Is there an insurance product where i can have the car insured but not pay for a 12 month premium. Looking at an old Jag xjr in the UK but dont think it would ne feasible if i cannot get a reduced insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

There are no part time insurance policies available here.

In addition, importing a car from the UK will cost you more than the price of the car - there will be VRT, VAT and Customs duty to pay, all depending on the age and value of the car

Getting insurance on older cars can be difficult, even for those here permanently - some companies won't quote for new business for cars over 12 years or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement