Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundaries

Options
  • 31-10-2022 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi. I’m at sale agreed on my house. I built in 2007. I bought a 1/2 acre site in the middle of a large holding owned by one person. The site was pegged out . I build and used those pegs as my boundary. Now I’m selling and the buyers engineer says my boundaries do not match my folio outline. The land to the back is now owned by a different person and the land to the side also.

what is my quickest way out of this please . Boundaries are set for 14 years , have Mature hedging and walls. Not much in it … a metre maybe , 2..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A metre? I'd say that's a bit more than not too much.

Is your boundary perimeter too big or too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In these situations you either change the boundaries on the site or change them on a map in order to regularise the issue. It's obviously a lot easier and cheaper to change the mapped boundaries so if the other party was agreeable you get your solicitor to prepare a deed of rectification.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lets be clear here.

a millimeter line on a boundary map at a scale of 1:2500 equates to 2.5 meters on the ground.

so if the buyers engineer is working off that scale map, and hes claiming it might be out by a meter, essentially hes arguing over about 0.33 of a millimeter on the map. The point being here, he cannot be 100% sure.

if this is to be resolved at a huge cost to you, the first port of call is to engage your own engineer to check if the buyers engineer is being too "one sided" in their meaurements

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

All Land Registry Maps have a caveat emblazoned on the Map, which states that the Map is non conclusive as to the boundaries or extent of the land.

The modern maps are 25” maps - 25 “ on the map equals 1mile.

The scale of the maps are 1:2,500. Yes anyone can put a scale rule on the map if they wish.

You said that the buyers Engineer is claiming that the boundary is out by 1 metre from him scaling off the Map.

The engineer needs to now put away his scale rule and get a solicitor to explain the legal meaning of the Caveat - The Map is not conclusive as to the boundaries OR extent of lands.

Advertisement