Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Ciders in Supermarkets?

Options
  • 01-11-2022 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are a few craft ciders around that describe themselves as dry e.g. Stonewell.

But are any of the supermarket ciders dry?

OH isn't a fan of sweet ciders. Likes the Stonewell, looking for cheaper alternative.

Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not that I can think of. The other craft brands have "Dry" versions but like Stonewell they're not really dry. All of the mass-market stuff is heavily sweetened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Maybe they have dropped them but Lidl had a range of "Crafty Ciders" under their Crafty Brewing brand ranging from very dry to sweet. The dry one was quite puckering.

If they're doing a French food week they'll generally have a real cider included.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Craggies in Dunnes is the closest I have found to dry still scrumpy cider in Ireland.

Its around the same price as Stonewall though and I'de say you wont find a cheap alternative as they usually go for the sugary Bulmers style.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you're ever up north you'll get plenty of English style dry ciders in Tesco/Sainsburys.

Also may not be the answer you're after, but dry cider is probably one of the easiest of homebrews to get right.

Advertisement