Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many border crossings between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland?

• 02-11-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I recently used Google Satellite view to zoom in very close and move along the entire length of the N/S Ireland border. I counted approximately 140 what I considered to be publicly accessible crossings. (There are dozens of what appear to be private driveways and farm roads that begin on one side of the border and end on the other. I did not count these.)

This link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland%E2%80%93United_Kingdom_border says that there are "...circa 270 public roads that cross the border." Even a cursory glance using Google maps can establish that this is BBC fantasy. (The citation attributes a BBC report.)

Anyone have a definitive source as to how many publicly accessible crossings there are?

I've started this in politics, which is my interest. But, Mods, please move if deemed appropriate.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Why did you bother when google can find you the answer is 208? There are even maps with all the crossings numbered in case you want to double check.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's officially 208 crossings plus roads which are themselves the border. That's only public roads. There are many private lanes that cross the border and link public roads as well - Great smuggling routes in the past.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This compares with something like less than thirty between England and Scotland. Much easier to police those than NI/Ireland crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the links.

I've just done Derry and Donegal crossings again. Derry/Donegal and the rest of Donegal's crossings.

The total is 17+45 = 62. The link given above states 18 for Derry and a total of 59 for Donegal (which would include Derry). I have made a note next to one since I'm not sure if it allows public access. But, I have still found slightly more overall and one less for Derry.

Here is the list.

Border Crossings:

Derry/Donegal (17)

Canning’s Lane

Coney Road

R238

Alder Road

Lenamore Road

Upper Galliagh Road

Elagh Road

Buncrana Road N13/A2

Coshquin Road

Groarty Road

Altaghaderry/Blighs Lane

Altaghaderry/Creevagh Road

Hillview Manor (?)

Letterkenny Road R237

Windmill View

Mullenan Road

Ballougry Road

Donegal (45)

N15/A38 (Lifford)

Urney Road

Urney Road

Lisdoo Road

Orchard Road

Listymore Road

Lurganboy Road

Unnamed Road

Unnamed Road

Priestsessagh Road

R235

Unnamed Road

Moneygal Road

Monellan Road

Laghtmorris Road

Laghtfoggy Road

Unnamed Road

Unnamed Road

Corgary Road

Tully Car Road

Tullnashane Road

Unnamed Road

Unnamed Road

Unnamed Road

Scraghey Road

Unnamed Road

Unnamed Road

Inisclin Road

Inisclin Road

Inisclin Road

Inisclin Road

High Street, Pettigo

A35, Pettigo

Letter Road B136

Tullyvogy Road

Meenatully Road

Unnamed Road (? Obviously, a lane/road leading to two houses, but may allow public access to Tullynasiddagh Lough)

Unnamed Road

Commons Road

Cliff Road

Unnamed Road, Belleek

Lough Shore Road N3/A46

Unnamed Road

Derrynacross Road

Manger Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement

Glad you asked.

It's research for an art project. I'm interested in the idea of borders, naming, difference, history, surveillance, etc.

I had heard of the figure of 208 perviously, but it's hard to be definitive, as far as I can see. I'm only interested in crossings that are accepted as accessible to the public.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Check the link to the official document I posted. As I said it has maps and numbers every crossing. Why you are still counting them I really can't say.

Wake me up when it's all over.

It does.

But, Google Maps satellite view is of more interest to me. Also, the maps in the link only give the crossings numbers. I want names and numbers of roads. For many of these you have to zoom in on Google to view them.

D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some places the road veers over and back.the border,in that 50 metres might in the north,next 100 in South etc etc

Also has some old mass paths/right of ways that would be accessible to public,but not listed/immediately noticible via Google maps,

you'd be well to check the old ordance survey maps of 1800s,to close out there,as some would be listed/showen there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Yes, I looked at Google maps once and was surprised at how few there are; much of the border runs through the mountains, and a lot more of it runs along rivers, which are two fairly typical places for boundaries to run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Soft Border Patrol did the bit about a plank crossing a stream being legally a border crossing.

The Narrow Water Bridge has gone out to tender so there's going to be one more big crossing.

Planning permission is in place for a distinctive 280m cable-stayed bridge, anchored by two towers at either end, with segregated car, cycle and pedestrian lanes.

It will connect the A2 Newry to Warrenpoint dual carriageway with the R173 Omeath and can open to allow for passage of boats through and on to the Newry Canal.

Advertisement