Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving deeds to solicitor Advice

Options
  • 02-11-2022 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i,m going to solicitor today at 3PM to give him the deeds of the house.he,s checking them to see they are all ready for a house sale in 2023.

Do i ask him for a letter, receipt , to show he has recieved the deeds , he will give them back to me at some point and i,ll bring them to my bank for safe storage.Any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

All titles deeds are now digitalised on land registery. If not done already it will happen after the sale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If he's your solicitor you don't particularly need to do this; he'll take your instructions on what to do with the deeds whether or not he has signed a receipt for them. But if it gives you any comfort, make a list of the documents you are handing over and ask him to sign it by way of a receipt. He won't have a problem in doing that though, obviously, he'll want to check through the documents and compare them against the list before he signs it.

If he's anybody else's solicitor they, yeah, you shouldn't hand over the documents without getting an accountable receipt for them. But if he's anybody else's solicitor you shouldn't be dealing with him directly; you should get your own solicitor to deal with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Last year, the bank branch that were holding the deeds to my parents house was closing & the deeds moved to my parents solicitor for safekeeping, he provided a full itemised receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Not every title is registered in the land registry! Universal compulsory registration only started in 2011.

Advertisement