Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1yr old 'wakes' very upset, multiple times during the night. Hard to settle

Options
  • 02-11-2022 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Our little lady, for the most part was a great sleeper, unless a bit sick etc

For the past 6-7 weeks she has started to wake up crying, some times inconsolable. I say awake but she seems to be half asleep / half awake.

She will settle in our arms and start snoring again but as soon as we put her down, no matter how gentle, she will wake up again and start crying.

Sometimes we might get 20 mins where she will stay asleep but eventually will wake again crying and we start the whole settling process again. Its all very strange and she is crying like in pain but we know there isn't anything happening.

Last night it started around 11 and lasted till about 3. She was half awake, balling crying so I took her down stairs and sat on the couch. She full woke up and gave me the biggest smile and was playful. A million miles from the state she was just in (I didn't engage with her want for playtime)

Back to bed, settled, only to wake again 20 mins later. We try to avoid picking her up as much as possible to avoid creating that crutch but its getting tough to deal with especially when we know she isn't really in pain .

Does this sound familiar to anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sounds like teething?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Don't think so as when she actually wakes, from that half awake half asleep state, he is in great form. All smiles and playful.

Its more than likely a sleep regression phase that she is going through and we just have to wait it out. Its just the behaviour around it is very strange but hopefully she falls back into her normal routine soon enough.

Possibly night terrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What age is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

she is only 15 months

I thought Night Terrors as well its just hard to know.

She woke for about an hour last night 8-9, was very upset initially but eventually calmed down and managed to fall back asleep after about 20 mins of stay and support and thankfully she slept thought the night and even had to be woken just after 7 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

My son went through a brief phase of night terrors like this. It wasn't as extreme as your little girls though. He would be crying, quite upset, but when I'd go in, I realised he was still asleep. Instead of picking him up, I'd rub his back. This settled him and the phase only lasted a month or so. It sounds like your daughters reaction is very extreme though. Hopefully it passes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are going through something similar with our 9mth old but not as bad as in your case.

He has been a good slepper for months now, he might wake a few times during the night normally but soother in mouth and back asleep.

However last few night he is screaming crying.

We think he is going through a growth spurt, he hasn't needed a bottle during night for months, he eats and drinks loads during the day but he has guzzled them last two nights.

We are just going with it for moment and hope it passes, I know it could be teething aswell but he has suffered with that for months but hadn't kept him awake at night.

Fingers crossed its just a phrase for them and they will be back to their normal self soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

This too shall pass. It is normal for toddler to wake up during the night and need comfort up to 2 and beyond. I think our society expects babies and toddlers to sleep like logs and many of them just wont until they are much older. Do what you need to to get sleep for the whole family, if that means boob or bottle again then give this. When we were finished with offering milk during the night one of us lay beside ours til they slept. Not eveyone is willing to have a toddler in the bed with them, but it can be an option to get sleep for the whole family. It won't last forever but I do hope it improves as it does sound tough on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mattress on the floor and you can lie with them and sneak out when they settle. Absolute lifesaver for us when twins were younger. And one of us could get some sleep while providing the comfort they need at that age.

Advertisement