Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big bus driver shortage. Why in the name of god would you drive a bus these days anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Oh, don't be so dramatic. Drivers are not snowflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The driver shortage is not only in the passenger transport industry but also the road transport industry, Prior to the Ukriane invasion the RSA was told to.look at other countries to bring in drivers.

These were Ukraine Moldova Argentina Macedonia, Also due to the supply chain shortages the RSA wanted to relax the drivers hours.

So this week you get fined for driving over you're hours but the following week it's OK, What has happened in road transport is that lads got out of the industry over the last 10 years.

Reasons being long hours 15hr days, Along with crap pay low as €10 an hour no shift allowance etc, Another being truck and bus driving is a highly regulated industry were everything stops at the driver dealing with the Gardai RSA /HSA.

Also the younger generation don't want to do any kind of manual work wether it be driving trucks or busses or doing a trade.

As for the driving end of things not everyone be able for it. The concentration is unreal whatever about loosing concentration in a car for a split second, You cannot afford that lapse in either a truck or bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

The current ones that are coming up for retirement certainty ain't, they have put up with the crap for decades, but the potential new ones clearly are, or maybe not, maybe they just want a safe job, with good pay and conditions? I would not call that being a snowflake, just normal expectations from a job.

Why is there are shortage of people willing to work for DB & GAI?

HINT: Pay & Conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

You want a good bus service you will have to pay for it, the NTA are slow on the uptake, they will get there eventually, but the bus service will have many years of suffering before then.

Many jobs now have the option to "work" from home, not a option for drivers, you are on the clock for 40 hours a week, no pretending to work, who can blame people seeking out jobs that allow them to work from home? No commute, no dealing with scum, and less work.

Surprise, surprise the media are starting to acknowledge the problem and solution

Here it is with no paywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

It's all about money. There's never a shortage of drivers willing to work a days OT on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Surprised at the Sindo sticking up for us blue collar workers, I'm working in the transport industry since the 90s mainly Cargo flight and trucking operations.

We got paid shift allowances for working between 1900 0700, And something for a Sunday can't remember what it was.

Do the likes of DB GAI &BE get anything similar? I know in the freight end of things they are looking at some sort of apprenticeship to get younger people into the industry.

But wether young lads want to be heading out on the boats to the UK &France at the weekend while their mates are out on the town, Is another thing .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There's an interview with the managing director of Aircoach in the Business Post where she says the biggest problems in the recruiting of drivers as far as Aircoach is concerned is the cost of housing in the Dublin Area, as a few drivers have had to leave because of that and also the fact that they run coaches at unsociable hours which has put people off. She feels those have been a bigger factor than pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Out and about today and while yes, now Christmas is in full swing…. The amount of..

overall traffic at non peak and peak time,, you’ll need uber concentration skills..

the dangerous wánkbags disregarding every facet of the road traffic act, especially the ‘last second merging muppets’ bullying their ways into lanes and forcing you to jam on.

asleep at the wheel clowns at lights, staring and grinning into their mobiles like donkeys.

no, no way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats the * text?

It's good money but for how many hours and crappy shifts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I remember a bus driver once saying to me that it was a great job if you don't love your family, because of the nature of the job you'll hardly see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

* Rises to €9xx ona 6 year scale.

I cant remember the exact figures. Also the 815 is gross pay, before tax, union, doctor etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,214 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

* Rises to 943.99 on a 6 year scale.

I've done a few nights on the 15's and 41's as extra capacity and its not something I'd like to do full time. 95% of the passengers are grand, but the other 5% just create chaos and danger for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jemser2022

The joke is I seen all them bus drivers in action in most of country’s you mentioned and believe me the ain’t great drivers ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jemser2022

915 euro a week is what’s needed to drive in Dublin ..

I drove buses for 6 years mostly coach

and hardly ever seen my family on weird shifts etc

I’d rather get paid half that and be home at 5 everyday which I am

thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BusCaptain

Dublin Bus is very hard for people with young families. You get 48 hours notice for the shift your doing. It takes minimum 3/4 years to get marked in. Sometimes you have a day off but your next day your in work at 4.30am which doesn't feel like a day off at all. Dublin bus controls 15 of your 20 days off. Also when you want a day off with 3 months notice they can still say no. Its at there discretion. Dublin bus have increased drivers work load which has increased accidents with drivers. Also drivers are regularly witnessing assaults & abuse daily. You need thick skin to work with Dublin bus. The money is good, you also get gp card for family, gym, pension & free travel. If anyone has any other questions I can hopefully answer honestly with no bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

3-4 years thought it took at least 10 years to get marked in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

With all the dole scum feral kids on the buses, who'd be a driver ffs?

And before anyone kicks off, 99% of these criminal kids come from "families" getting free houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Is that not the main problem for shortage of manual workers in this country,they are far better off on the dole and benefits. We hear the same ullshlt t7hat we are near full employment but what percentage of people are working part time 2 days/week and drawing full benefit it all just a bit of a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

What exactly is getting “marked in”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

getting a fixed shift pattern on a fixed route. So you would always be driving the no 7 (say) instead of all sorts of different routes as you fill the gaps around the marked in drivers

Drivers are getting marked in on the 15,27 & G1/G2 as there junior routes & the hardest skulls to deal with. Your guaranteed to see craziness on all these routes. There the hardest routes to work in Dublin bus.

When you start in Dublin bus your a spare driver which basically means you work all the routes in your garage with only 48 hours notice to know what your working. If your marked in you cover a certain zone with up to 2 or 3 routes & you know what your working for a full year. That's the difference.

This whole marked in system appears crazy, like a Victorian era work practice. It needs to be removed to attract new entrants to the role.

I’d agree with you on the 15. I live close too 15 & 15B stops and will always opt for the 15B when possible. There can be some amount of head bangers on the 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Not knowing what hours you're doing until only 48 hours beforehand? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would assume what was meant is everyone gets a regular roster and work their fair share of weekends/nights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭john boye

I think you'll know whether you're on an early, middle or late (you do a week of earlys, a week of middles and then a week of lates) but you won't know your specific start and finish times for each day until 48 hours before. Open to correction though.

Advertisement