Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile data faster than Wi-Fi for some Aps

• 02-11-2022 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36

Hi. Some of my Aps including Independent open much faster using Mobile data than using Wi-Fi (Fiber). All other Aps open immediately. I don’t have unlimited Data so hoping there’s some setting that can improve download speed. Samsung phone. Thanks.

Answers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have had similar with my Samsung for a long while and not yet managed to track down the issue. It also sometimes runs slow loading boards.ie when on WiFi with the phone, but loads fine on the same WiFi on the laptop and loads fine on 5G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did you check speeds using Ookla Speed Test?

Laptops have a better WiFi Antenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Maxmillian

Thanks Flinty997.

I have compared three phones in the same location. One iPhone and 2 Samsungs. The iPhone and the older Samsung are downloading fine but the newer Samsung is really slow to download two Apps in particular; Independent.ie and Sky go. It downloads all other apps fine. Strange.

I've had some phones that had bad wifi.

But if its only one or two apps, thats very specific. Could be they are routing differently over wifi. Maybe they suffer slower connections worse than other apps, due to how they are coded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Maxmillian

I see what you mean. The thing is that the same apps open fine on the other devices at the same time and location. Are there any phone settings that can be adjusted to open particular apps differently to others?

• Advertisement

No idea. Might depend on the app if it uses cache etc. For example Google maps you can preload ma

Advertisement