Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Ireland?

Options
  • 02-11-2022 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Good evening, hopefully Boards can clear this up for me.

A friend of mine is getting married in the States next year. It will be humanist ceremony, followed by reception in the States, for her side of the family mainly. Two weeks later they have booked a ceremony in Ireland for his side of the family, but they are unsure if you do another ceremony here? Or what would people recommend?

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Good idea to read this first

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/getting_married_abroad.html

up to themselves really. Why go to the expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

I'll pass the link on, hugely appreciated.

I think that was always their plan due to age profile of both families.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Assuming the ceremony to be conducted in the States is a legally valid marriage ceremony in the place where it is conducted, there is no legal requirement for a second marriage ceremony in Ireland. Irish law will recognise the validity of the US marriage. As they will be already married, they will be unable to marry in Ireland. They can of course have an Irish ceremony for the benefit of their Irish friends and family, but it will be of no legal significance. And, precisely because it will have no legal significance, they can put anything they like into the ceremony, leave anything they like out, and conduct the ceremony anywhere they wish.

Or, of course, if they prefer they can do things the other way around — have a non-legally valid ceremony in the US, followed by a valid marriage ceremony in Ireland. If they do it this way, then the form, contents, location etc of the US ceremony are legally unimportant, and they can do whatever they like; the Irish ceremony will be their first and only legally valid marriage ceremony and they will have exactly the same requirements as any other unmarried couple marrying in Ireland.

The bottom line is that a couple can only have one legally valid marriage ceremony because, after that ceremony, they are married and holding a second ceremony will not change anything.

Advertisement