Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm probably going to be homeless by the end of the month, what do I do?

• 03-11-2022 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A guy I live with lost his job and is going back to his home country. I am living here under his invitation and am not a tenant. I'll have to go when he leaves.

I have maybe €500 in the bank, I have no family I can stay with and I have no friends that I can stay with.

I'm very stressed out. I've been unemployed for a while and just don't have a lot of savings.

I tried applying for a loan and an overdraft and got rejected.

I'm starting a new job next week which will be double stressful, knowing that I might be homeless soon.

Even if I had enough money to pay for a box room in a house share (€500 1 months rent + €500 Deposit) none of the house shares are messaging me back.

Majority of Daft ads are female only which is so annoying, just when you think you've found a suitable place, female only.

I'll have to be looking for gaff's while starting my new job which will be impossible because you need to be looking at your phone all day and reply within 5 minutes to be in with a chance of getting a reply.

I have a friend who works in tech, makes 10k more than me and is living out of hostels/family's couches for more than a month now, which fills me with dread. Backpacker hostels are **** and while maybe €25 a night, can be €70 a night on the weekend for a shared dorm,

I just don't know what to do. I've though about leaving the country (no idea where) or just buying a tent.

I suppose I'll have to power through this month and pray that I get a house share around the time that I get paid at the end of them month.

If anyone has any helpful advice I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Have you a license? buy a van thats still in half-decent nick or get credit union loan for one and throw a matress in it, then slowly start converting it. Make sure you go for one with few windows in the back so its not at all obvious there is someone living in it. There was a lad on the AMA forum who did similar. I done the hostel trail myself years ago and wouldnt do it again.

Hope the new job works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Present to the council as homeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

As above, go to the council and tell them the situation.

Or maybe if you also contact the community welfare officer in your local social welfare office also. They can do emergency payments.

Airbnb it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

go to council housing dept ,wood quay, and go to welfare officer asap

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Govement should be looking after people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jaysis OP, you've had a lot of housing issues in the last few months and received great advice in the other thread you created very similar to the advice you received here so far.

Cut back on the all weekend drinking sessions and the presumed smoking as suggested by your username and it should ease your financial burden

Good luck in the new job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You can't register as homeless till you're actually homeless, the OP may be able to register as in need of housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

Would it worth putting a notice up in a local shop, saying 'room wanted'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Get yourself down the council every day until they sort you out & they will sort you out ,

As long as your happy to go anywhere you'll get sorted ,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Could you speak to the landlord about staying where you are? Save the LL having to look for someone to replace you as well as the guy leaving or you even offer to find someone to fill your pal's space. Even if he didn't know you were subletting up to now, he might be glad of the hassle being taken out of his hands.

Also you mentioned a friend doing the hostel thing, could you look for a place together instead of a house share? I have no idea if that is harder than just renting a room given the supply of rentals at the moment but it jumped out at me as a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

If you have a drivers license, get a van. Throw futon in the back, you now have sofa and bed. Present as homeless and see what they will do....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Smoke420meme

I'm looking for a place with my friend doing the hostel thing. Seems like one of the hurdles is, they ask for bank statements or payslips. Another hurdle is most 2 beds are around €2000, so for that scenario I'd need to come up with €1000 rent and €1000 half deposit.

I don't have a drivers licence but I'm considering getting a van out of desperation.

I am actually on the housing list and in 2018 I presented as homeless to Park Gate Hall near Heuston. At that time I had a flat lined up, had the keys and gave the "Hap" forms to the LL. He gave the forms back incorrectly filled out (on purpose I think), Park Gate Hall gave the forms back to be filled out, then said he was going on holidays and asked for the keys back. I was left to sleep in a hostel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I hear Canada is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Get credit cards. But use them wisely.

with a job you get access to wash and canteen facilities, which are useful if homeless. so hang on to that job. Also you can probably get away with catching some sleep on the premises if the environment is good and you time it well.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

You need to get hap if renting. It's not even just rent, Bill's will be another few hundred a month...

If you are earning low wages, there is no point in paying for yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

no there not hpusing health education they all have to be looked after for to people who need them the goverment are doing nothing for people they should be providing more

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

The van idea sounds the best option along with the council

• Advertisement

Why not check see where you are on the housing list ?

If you registered as homeless,make an appointment again in Parkgate Hall and enquire about accessing a higher threshold hostel .

Good on you for mentioning that, they had taken me off the housing list because I changed address and they sent me a form to my old address that I never sent back. Now I'll still be like number 250 on a list but better to be on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Put on an eastern accent and claim asylum?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They can still go to the council and tell them one is in danger of being homeless and get advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP you should get in touch with someone from the Simon Community or someone in Cope, they'll be able to at least advise you what you can or might do.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

Talk to the landlord and get your mate thats leaving to help you approach him and recommend you as a tennent. I think landlord knows that this may save him a lot of bother looking for new tennents. Try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Good advice op, that seems to be the most sensible thing to do given your current situation, and keep at the council, I know a chap who was only on the list for literally a couple of months and he got a two bedroom house quickly because he kept at them, he got a councillor to aid him, got doctors reports, whatever they needed, some local authorities like to see proactive prospective tenants and it works, the way they see it someone on the list not pushing must not really be that desperate for a home, etc.

I would advise against the van idea as I know someone who actually went down that route as like yourself found themselves in a desperate situation, crazy thing was they were taken of the list as they didn't have a permanent abode or an official address, the rules/red tape can be off at times, they officially declared themselves homeless and were reappointed to the list, they were given a room with an ensuite in an ex-hotel with two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day provided even whilst they were employed by Aldi, they didn't push as hard but did get a council flat after 14 months,

Op don't stress it, things will work out in the end, wishing you well.

Going back to your earlier thread from September when you moved in with your friend - the landlord will now have a vacant room if your friend is vacating his - have you asked the landlord if he would consider allowing you to take over that room officially?

Or did the whole licensee thing without permission sour relations with the landlord?

• Advertisement

So that's complicated, I already tried to get put onto the lease and the LL refused.

He then sent someone to inspect the house to make sure I wasn't living here.

It would seem like, if I were to propose to him that I take over the lease, that he wouldn't want to do it as he already suspects I live here without his permission. I think that relationship has soured.

He's just not a reasonable man at all.

But have you asked?

Surely its better to ask, then to just assume he will say no.

Update: My friend said because it may be impossible for him to find another apartment when he comes back, he will keep the apartment, ie he won't tell the landlord that he is leaving. He'll go home for a month and come back in the new year. Still unsure about the future. I am still looking for another place and have had some viewings. Hoping one particular place I viewed will come through for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah good news... Even a hint of losing accommodation ie HOME is unsettling enough to be scary.. as I know only too well

Advertisement