Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trunking

Options
  • 03-11-2022 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭

People; I need Black, plastic trunking. 3/4" to 1" square.

It's for a little project I have on. I need ~ wait for it ....! Two, One Foot Lengths! 😬

Anyone has any off cuts knocking about? Please let me know and I'll happily buy them.

Failing that? If anyone could, please, show me a link to where I can buy a full length of the stuff, from my computer? (I can't find it) Bloody shame that I have absolutely no use what so ever for more than my two, one foot bits. I'll be throwing the rest away!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Stigura

Damn. Nice try, Meercat. But, I'm seeing that stuff all over the place.

It Has to be square. Has to be black too.

Not wanting to go into writing a detailed tomb here. But, no. I can't just paint white either. White we have.

Gotta be Blaaaack, Bruvva! 😎

😬 Okay, guys. How is it that when ever I try to ask the simplest question; I somehow get drawn into writing a Russian novel?

I'm old enough that I don't do mm's. So, I couldn't really work out what Amazon's got there.

To help you good lads help me? I want to feed a bit of (God, the iron!) Round conduit through it. That corrugated, flexible plastic pipe? Damn stuff's black too. Wouldn't matter if it were pink with yellow spots. Black trunking's to hide it and 'keep the lines'.

Anyway, my Vernier thing's battery's dead. But, here's what it makes of the pipe. mm at the top, Inches at the bottom. My pipe's the '7.25' looking measurement.

I also want a quarter inch wiggle room, because a small flex will be running with one of the pipes.

Perhaps if we can figure out exactly what I want ...?

Thanks, lads.

Inch is roughly 25mm

that trunking is 25x16 so probably too tight

what you are looking for is 25x25(in millimetres) but that still may be tight

• Advertisement

Thanks, Meercat. Excellent. Now I have a clue what I'm looking for / up against. Ian Anderson was right. Certainly in my case 🙄

So; My logic now says I should be looking for, what? 30 mm, to be safe? Wonder if that even exists?!

Just to demystify all this a little ~ without going into my life story: I have a black framed 'fish tank'. I have an external filter, with the two, black, pipes. Then, I have a heater. The back of the tank is a panoramic photo. Okay?

Now, I need to get both these crinkly pipes to the bottom of the tank. Far apart. Round, crinkly, black pipes ~ with a flex thrown in? Good luck securing That in the glass corners! Either way, it'd look bloody horrible!

At least neat, Square, black trunking, either side of the back, would match the lines of the tank. And it would less draw the eye from the background. See? Top and bottoms will be screened off. But, we don't need to go into that.

Oh! And it'll be bone dry glass, where the trunking gets stuck. Just press it on, as normal. The 'removable' cover also means I can access / remove the heater, should it ever need replacing.

Two foot of 30mm and I can get on with my world class Bullfrog terrarium 🙏

😲 Oh, to hell with that! If this stuff'll suit my needs? I'll just send for it and ask them to just send me two foot.

40 x 25, eh? I'll try to get my hands on a bit of that size, here. To test. If it works? I'll happily pay through the nose for that black stuff.

I paid about €40 or so, just for the photo to go on the back! 😂 I Did say I'm working on a " world class Bullfrog terrarium ". Man's gotta do ....!

Thanks!

Meercat, you Legend!!! 😁 Ye not only have my Trunking problem sorted ~ Look at This!

€20.00 and I'm good to go, on Both fronts! 😃 Thank you, so much! 👏

• Advertisement

There's more!!! 😁 Everybody loves a happy ending, yeah? Well, if the purists could please forgive me and move along ~ Nothing to see here. No need to read this ~ I've just Got To tell how this all went!

Armed with a tiny off cut of my crinkly black plastic hose, I've wandered into my local providers, yesterday. Big place, of course They kept the plastic trunking stacked against the far wall. I remember, because I bought some a good while ago.

Only, that wall's now covered in brooms, mops, dust pans and such. I can clearly see, above the aisles, there's no trunking there. Nor, strangely, were there any staff. Anywhere! Quite eerie. Bloody great shop. Just me, standing there, looking lost and wondering where everyone is.

Well, I happened to notice a vertical stand of something, down by the back door to the yard. Mildly curious and wanting to kill time till someone appeared, I went over to look at it. Was This something to do with trunking? Oh. No, actually. It's metal stuff. All sorts of gear. Right angled, Various sizes. In gray or white. Nice for corners, I s'pose? Stuff that, I imagine, was mean't to cover floor laid flexes. Save people tripping over it. Pipes? I think. Square stuff too. From really tiny to quite bigger.

I thought how I'd never seen all this before. Must be new in. Lost interest and went to see if anyone was about yet. There's Eustis! Good. " Eustis? Were've ye hidden the plastic trunking? "

Cutting an even longer story shorter; He took me to a fresh in load of the stuff. Poked my bit of pipe at it? Not happening. Just too small a hole. I was gutted. He told me what size that was. I explained I just needed to fit that pipe in it. And have room for a bit of thin flex. He said the next size in existence was such and such. Went and got me some, for a look at.

Hell, no! 40 x 25mm. Anyway, the pipe fit nicely, one way. The other? I could have crawled in there with it! This stuff, blacked up or not, would look Dreadful in my tank! No Way! It was about Twice as wide as I needed. Might as well stick a telegraph pole in the corner of an 18" tank!

I was Beyond gutted! Walked out. Head down. Mouth turned down. Feeling incredibly down. Square one. Back to the drawing board. Coming on the internet and asking silly stuff on fora. Hang a f***ing bout!!! That weird sh!t. The new stuff by the door? Didn't I see some square stuff?!

I practically Ran back to the shop. Dashed straight through, to the back door. Scanned all this metal weirdery. Tentatively Dared to try my scrap of plastic pipe against a particular bit.

The staff were actually laughing to see this dishevelled old man, roaring and almost crying with absolutely unbridled delight! I'd found my holy bloody grail!!! Three foot long. 7/8th" internal. Aluminium 'square section'.

If Eustis ~ or Any of the staff ~ had been available, when I walked in? It would have been; " Trunking? This. No good? Well, you're sh!t out of luck. Now, please go. Ye make the place look untidy. "

And that would have been it! I'd never have got Near that new little mini display of aluminium wonders! 🤗

Isn't This a beautiful thing to behold? 😍

Advertisement