Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holyhead to Manchester charging stations

• 03-11-2022 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi - planning trip from Cashel to Manchester via ferry and Holyhead in my ID4 77kwh. I know I can charge my car on the ferry. not sure if this will give me enough juice to get to Manchester. Have anyone did similar trip? where to charge on the way to Manchester? what app(s) I will need? can u start charging through apps over there or do I need to order cards for scanning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

I think abetterrouteplanner.com/ is your best bet for something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've done Dublin to Cornwall in my ID.4, no issues with chargers

Use abetterrouteplanner.com to plan your charging stops. It'll tell you when and where to charge based on the car you select

According to it you can do it with a single charge at Tesla SuC at Flint Mountain

https://abetterrouteplanner.com?plan_uuid=c556f7ad-15ab-445e-b379-a4bf5dbc3e37

Charge to 100% before you leave and preheat the car while it's plugged in so you leave with maximum charge

There's 2 50kW units in Dublin Port at the Circle K, and another 2 50kW chargers at Holyhead ferry terminal (when you're exiting the port, do a U turn at the roundabout and go back towards the passenger terminal, they're at the back of the car park)

If possible I'd recommend arriving early and grabbing a 45 mins charge, or failing that you've the option of charging at Holyhead

The charger on the ferry only supply's 3kW, so not much use on a 2-3 hour crossing

Look for a destination charger near where you're staying, the way home will basically be a copy and paste

In terms of apps, you'll want your We Connect app setup with your charging card. You'll also need the Tesla app and an account to use the SuC

Plug share and Zap Map are also good apps to have for finding chargers

Most DC chargers in the UK take credit cards now, or you can use your We Charge card on a lot of them

Best of luck, and enjoy your trip 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Recently Dublin->Blackburn (just north of Manchester) - We travelled on the Irish Ferries ulysses (slow) ferry. The crossing took about 3.5 hours at between 3-7 kW charging - depending on how many other EVs are plugged in. We arrived in Holyhead at 100%

I was in a Tesla Model 3 Sr+ (approx 60kWh) and leaving the ferry with a full charge got me all the way there with 35% remaining. The weather was shocking - torrential rain and cold, so the heating was on. Our average driving speed was about 100-110km/h

A friend did the same route in a 58kWh id3 and had about 23% remaining.

Abetterrouteplanner.com is definitely your friend here. There are many good chargers along the route and most take tap and pay.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Arrive early for the Dublin ferry and charge to 80+% at Dublin port. The ferry chargers are not that fast and the crossing is quick. Then plan to charge often and early. Try to stay overnight somewhere with a charger. There is a risk public chargers will be busy or broken so don't go below 20% charge to allow you enough range to make it to a different charger. Allow plenty of time and phone helplines if charger is not working. UK chargers are a mix of networks, apps etc.

Advertisement