Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge mode for deco mesh

Options
  • 03-11-2022 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our wifi wasn't reaching all corners of the house, so I bought a deco wifi 6 mesh system. I connected it up to our existing router and got it all working grand. However, the instructions recommend configuring the old router in bridge mode to avoid issues, and I need some guidance on that. The modem/router is the one we got from pure telecom when we signed up to siro. It's a fritzbox 7530. A quick google brought me to the following page, but I'm wary of following the steps because I don't know if they are applicable and I don't want to end up with no internet! https://www.edpnet.be/en/support/installation-and-usage/internet/manage-fritz!box/how-do-i-configure-my-fritzbox-in-bridge-mode.html

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Incidentally, we're actually with sky for siro now, but I never got around to connecting their router. So, if it would be easier to achieve bridge mode using that, I'm all ears.

Thanks

PS: I did consider just turning off the fritzbox wifi, but I've found that my eph gateway (for the heating) can't connect to my deco wifi. I'm hoping if I get bridge mode set up correctly, it might resolve that issue too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Hi RonnieL

I have a similar set up to you. I did turn off my Fritzbox wifi. I overcame the heating problem by placing one of my Deco units near my heating Hub (HIVE) and used a LAN cable to connect the Deco unit to the Hive. There are Lan sockets on both the hive and deco.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

No need for any bridge mode. Just connect main deco via lan to fritz and test will piggy back. I didn't turn off fritz wifi, it's just a separate SSID. I let the fritz continue to do the DHCP

I did try letting Deco replace fritz but it couldn't handle speeds wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If you still with SIRO then plug DECO 6 directly into ONT socket on the wall. You don’t need Fritz .

Use DECO as a single router. Don’t forget to set VLAN10 tagging and PPPoE credentials.

As for bridging, there is nothing to bridge really. Fritz in your scenario not a MODEM, it’s just a router, same as DECO.

Modem in your setup is the ONT socket on the wall.So you basically replacing one router with the different one.

If you want to keep FRITZ then disable WiFi on it and set up DECO as Access Point Mode , not a router mode.

ps. Your eph gateway ( no idea what this is ) connection issue not related to bridge mode or anything like that. This is Deco’s WIFI settings needed to alter. Probably 2.4Ghz issue, 20 mhz mode needed for older devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Firstly thanks for all the replies - I am not as frequent a visitor to boards as I used to be, and the email notifications for your replies found there way into spam, so apologies for taking so long to get to them.

@alec76 I'm most interested in your reply, because I like the idea of having one less device in my hall! I am still on siro, and I did try connecting directly at one stage, but when it didn't just work magically I went back to the previous configuration. I'm with sky for siro, but I never plugged in their router, and the fritzbox never stopped working, despite the PPOe credentials being the pure telecom ones. Does that make any sense?! The problem I have is the PPOe password is obscured in the fritzbox web interface. Safe to assume Sky will provide the PPOe username and password if I asked? Also, the eph gateway problem wasn't resolved by setting the deco wireless to 2.4Ghz only - I wasn't aware of the 20mhz setting, so I'll look into that later. Also, to @yrreg0850 's point, I can't use a wired connection for the eph gateway because it's wireless only. I have a hunch that the reason it's not working is something to do with the "double NAT" problem I saw mentioned somewhere, which will hopefully go away if I get the fritz box out of the picture.

Advertisement