Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterlogged plants

Options
  • 03-11-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I purchased a elderberry black lace plant during the summer. During our recent heavy rain my plant was sitting in standing water for 2 days before it drained away. The plant is pretty hardy and apparently will tolerate standing water for up to a week. After that it starts to get damaged. I dont want to move it as its in an area of similiar looking plants that all look good together.

Any ideas for limiting damage as lots more rain expected this winter.

Regards

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Best to move it. They do not tolerate repeated water logging and will develop a fungal infection as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The standard thing to do if you are liable to get standing water like that is to plant it above the water level on a raised mound. My worry isn't the roots so much as the area of bark where it goes into the soil if thats wet and then freezes then that can do even more damage.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Martin121

good tip

Advertisement