Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing and new cap

• 03-11-2022 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, I've been leasing about 20 acres for the past 3 years with 3 more to go on the lease. The original agreement was €150/acre plus 90% of direct payments which was around another €120. Just wondering now for next year with this new biss and criss and eco scheme, what are farmers with similar arrangements going to pass on. The Biss will only be about 60% of old payment. The Criss is paid in the first 30 ha which I own myself. Looks like I will qualify for the Eco scheme with over 10% space for nature.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Well you can only pay back what payment you receive on the leased land so you they'll be minus the criss amount if you're already claiming it in your own. You'll be qualifying for the ECO for your own anyway,plenty of options be it gps spreading etc so that will cover their payment too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

The owner of land wont be happy but does the lease say 90% of money drawn or a set amount of money ? Clearly owner would be better off with someone with no extra land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

Thanks for replies. The lease says 90% of entitlements. It also says any reductions by the department apart from penalties will be passed on to the owner.

When the lease was made the owner was aware that it would probably be reduced down the road.

Wont be passing on the criss. Will pass on the eco as I qualify easily, but if I had to start doing measures like planting hedges I'd be looking to retrieve the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

You seem to have planned out lease well in that case. Just a thought though, if land owner is facing a big drop you might offer a small increase in rent to max your chances of renewing lease in future ( if having it is of benefit to you )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Young95

Why would you pass on your eco payment?? That’s your money that your to get from doing your eco part even if like myself get it without doing anything atal it’s still yours not the landowners . They want that payment in the farmers hand .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

I was of the opinion that the eco is replacing greening which was deemed part of 90% I agreed to pass on.

Plus I think that the leased land qualifies easily by having over 10% space for nature, so it's not costing me to claim it.... Maybe I could argue otherwise, but I wouldn't like to risk harming the good relation I have with the owner.

Advertisement