Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRAPES

Options
  • 03-11-2022 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

Today in a garden center I saw a plant which said outdoor grapes. I thought it was not possible to grow grapes in EIRE. We just dont have the climate. Could someone enlighten me. Is it possible to grow grapes outside in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

30 years ago they couldn't make decent wine in the UK. With global warming they are getting the ideal climate to grow champagne grapes and make a champagne type sparking wine to rival the french.

Now you have always been able to grow vines outside here but you do need the shelter of a south facing wall. If you have the space and you need a lot I see no reason you couldn't in a good year (like this year) get a very decent crop. They do however need training and a lot of pruning as they make a lot of growth each year. Training and pruning is easy but you have a lot of prunings to get rid of each year so maybe not idea in a smaller garden.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We grow them against a SW facing wall, Vanessa i think is the variety. Loughlinstown is about 1KM to the sea so gets very little frost and is a bit of a sun trap in the summer, YMMV.

My old man who lives in Sandycove has grown white grapes in his greenhouse since we were nippers, no idea what variety but his grandchildren now love them :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement