Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other than SSRIs, has anything else worked for depression?

Options
  • 04-11-2022 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have been depressed for a long time. I have tried almost all the SSRIs.

More recently, I have been prescribed an SSNRI by a psychiatrist. This has not worked and I am due to go back to her soon.

The only thing which has given me any relief is an atypical antidepressant called valdoxan/agomelatine.

Are there any other atypical antidepressants etc anyone could recommend for me to suggest to my psychiatrist as I am at my absolute wits end of treatments?

I have heard of Mirtazapine and am going to write this down to bring to her but are there any others as she seems open to following my lead?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod Note - OP I have moved your thread to the Health forum as it is probably more suitable to it.

Local charter now applies.

All the best.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Post deleted as previous post deleted for violating charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Mirtazapine is working well for me. Side effects include being quite sleepy and hungry. Much better response than SSRI and started working quickly.

GP gave a choice between mirt and amitriptyline, both meant to be good alts to ssri. I havent tried amitriptyline as it is not needed since mirt is effective.

Advertisement