Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be my next step?

Options
  • 04-11-2022 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My current laptop has the following:

• CPU - Intel Core i5-7200U
    • GPU - Intel HD Graphics 620
    • HDD - 1TB
    • RAM - Micron 8GB

I used the benchmarking tool from userbenchmark.com - told me the laptop was basically dogshit for gaming

When I am talking about gaming I am mostly play strategy games like the total war series.

I suppose the question is how cheap can we go? Have had this laptop for 4 years and its still fine for what I play which is Men of War: Assault Squad 2. I want to get the game Call to Arms but think I need to improve the hardware first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JamBur

Better to save for a better platform, but If you need to upgrade that laptop...... RAM and an SSD will see some improvements. Im presuming your 1TB is a spinning drive? An SSD will see good everyday benefits, but requires a bit more work due to having to reinstall OS and all other software. RAM is an easier upgrade.

What model is the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Drive can be cloned - no need to reinstall OS and apps/programs. Some brands(e.g Samsung) have software along with the SSD you get, will need external enclosure for the job

Either way - get SSD and extra RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sell laptop, build a desktop with Ryzen 5600G (integrated graphics) and DDR4-4000 RAM OR 5600 + cheap used GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

Honestly at this point just get a new laptop or a cheap desktop to play games on. There's not much you can do to upgrade that laptop - sure you can add an SSD and more RAM, but you're still left with a base core of low-end processor and ultra low-end graphics card.

I bought a 2nd hand laptop off Adverts with a Ryzen 3500U and 8GB Ram/SSD for €200 recently, that'd be 2 or 3 times more powerful than your machine.

You'd get a 2nd hand desktop that'd be way more powerful than your laptop for those sorts of games for as low as €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TootBootRootShoot

I'll have a look on adverts tonight. I tried out GeForce Now last night with my current laptop (the free account version) and it was pretty good for running the games on highest quality graphics, laptop was under zero workload, it did freeze 5/6 times for 1/2 seconds but not bad for over wifi

• Advertisement
Advertisement