Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB visa\debit cards not working online

• 04-11-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Apologies for posting here but there is no AIB group .

I am unable to make any online payments using aib cards. get message that cvc can not be verified. The cards work fine when making contactless payments in retail outlets. I have tried to to make payments to an post for a tv licence, amazon for a product purchase and a netflix subscription. all fail.

Have contacted aib card services who say the fault is with the providers who are not setup for secure authentication.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

exactly the same experience here. Trying to book AIRBNB with credit card. It wont accept it, wont ask for 3rd party verification, wont let me use my debit card either or google pay. I have multiple payment options (Revolut, Sumup, Paypal also) but AIRBNB wont let me mention them. In the meantime AIB wont let me use my credit card even though this card is on my Airbnb account as my preferred payment method!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well from your description, it is not remotely like the problem the OP described.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The fact that the contactless payments work is of no consequence, since you seem to have a very specific error - cvc can't be verified.

I would be doubtful that the issue lies with the vendors because this kind of validation is their life blood and if there was a general problem with CVC validation they'd have fixed it PDQ.

If it has not resolved itself by now, I'd think about ordering a new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I bought a laptop online using my AIB credit card from a company in Ireland. After several attempts I didn't receive a verification SMS. A short time later I got an email from the company thanking me for my purchase and subsequently the money left my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Gunner5

Yep, I have the same error happening. It's extremely annoying. It happens on a lot of different vendor sites so it can't be that. Maybe my card is old and that's why. I might order a new one and see if it fixes it.

sorry about that, just re-read the OP post, I didn't see the bit about CVC. Yes that is unusual and I would order a new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I don't know how relevant this is, but I recently opened an account with AIB, and like you I found the debit card worked fine in shops, but not online. The verification things never seemed to arrive in my phone (I assumed it was a signal problem at the time). In my case the solution turned out to be an extra mobile mumber verification step that I hadn't realised was necessary,. It had been hard to remember everything they said during our account application, and they hadn't realised I hadn't taken that in. It was soon sorted once I gave up trying to solve the mystery online, and went to the branch.

I can't remember what error message I was getting,, but wonder if your problem is really specific to the CVC. Maybe it could just look like that because it's the last thing entered before submitting the bank details?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

not only is my problem with an post, amazon and netflix, but is also with Irish Rail and gomo. I have received a new aib credit card which does not work online. I have had an aib card payment setup successfully in amazon for years. It is only when this card expired at the end of October and I tried to add the new one which fails. I have a revoult card which works on every site I have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

i've just chatted with aib on facebook and they suggested entering the card details manually rather than google auto fill. hey presto it works. I had uptaded google payments with the new card details but when use auto fill it fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd also check with AIB that they have not set you up for receiving 2FA via their app rather than by SMS (you might need to tell them you don't have a smart phone to make them turn you back to SMS).

Advertisement