Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire regulations for sockets

Options
  • 05-11-2022 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Electrician is looking me to get retardant pads for sockets. Supplier has questioned the need as he would normally only use them in apartments. I'm questioning because of the expense. Maybe in a timber stud but my walls are block.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,661 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is he looking for them on EVERY socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Louth Build

A little over half the sockets. And some singles. Which I assume is for light switches.

The house is 3 storey if that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's the same principle as the fire rated spots with the intumescent seal

You're reinstating the fire barrier so i can see no purpose on a block wall

It'll be a building regulation I assume anyway easy to check ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,661 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sounds to me like it affecting walls which form the stairwell and escape corridors, which needs to be 30 min fire rating.

if they are blockwalls, then i cannot see the point. Even chased, the block wall with scud coat and skim finish will provide 2 hours of fire rating.

If its a stud wall in the stairwell / corridor enclosure, then yes absolutely.

Advertisement