Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v South Africa Virgin media 17:30

• 05-11-2022 3:33pm

Background

In the last 10 years we've lost away to South Africa 4 times and lost at home twice.

We have won away once and won at home 5 times, indicating a general level of competitiveness against the Saffers for longer than we've been a top tier team in World rugby. Our last game against South Africa was the 2017 dismantling at home where we won 38 - 3 (match posted below).

South Africa are on a decent run of form having won 3 in a row against Argentina and Australia. Prior to that they had shipped a loss to Australia and a loss to NZ (having beaten NZ once following the Summer tours).

The Wales tour to South Africa was a poor period for them. I don't particularly rate Wales but the Saffer's struggled to deal with them giving Wales a rare away win.

Ireland have a tour win in New Zealand under our belts, and a good six nations losing only to France.

Teams

Prediction

The importance of this fixture given the shared World Cup pool between South Africa and Ireland shouldn't be discounted. This is a stare down.

South Africa look a slightly stronger team on paper, are on form and have a run of fixtures coming into todays game. I think their game plan is easier to implement or should I say impose and I expect them to be 100% on it today.

From an Irish perspective I'm worried about our back 5 and whether we can weather that South African pack for 50 minutes and that impressive bench in the closing 30.

I'm concerned about the breakdown generally, but more so with the lack of zip at 9 that has been central to our success the last year.

I think Murray's inclusion is a nod to the success of Wales aerial game against South Africa - much to the chagrin of some I think we'll see a lot of kicking from Ireland. Again - the lack of game time from the likes of Keenan puts this into gamble territory if it proves true.

I think South Africa have the advantage coming into the game, but I can't shake the feeling Ireland will have enough for them today and might even make a show of it.

2017 Game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good opening post..

Are you worried about the back 5 of the Irish pack?

just looking at the weights of the Boks pack, big lads..

Jasper Wiese 118kgs

Peter Steph du Toit 119kgs

Siya Kolisi 106kgs

Etzebeth 117kgs.... that seems wrong

Lood De Jager 112kgs

Frans Malherbe 125kgs

Malcolm Marx 117kgs

Kitshoff 125kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I appreciate that there's a certain amount of needs must with the selections but the backs, if not weak on paper, are somewhat out of sorts today. McCloskey may be no Bundi Aki but on the plus side you are assured an 80 minutes out of him 😂 and his seasonal form has been stellar and he will fit in well with Ringrose, physically at least.

I'm especially concerned with the full back line. Keenan is a joy to see, assuming he is fit but that's the question; is he fit? Hansen is a comfort but Baloucoone is a definite weak spot IMO. Great when he is on the attack but his defensive skills are, shall we say, average.

The pack battle will either be tight and drive dominated (SA) or loose and fast (Irl). If the latter then the backs will become slightly less decisive, and on a dry pitch it should favour us today, but only just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'll watch it on prime in 4k thanks. Not in standard def on virgin.

I think this will be a reflection of where we are before the world cup. Sexton and lack of depth at 10 a massive concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

They are back 5's that suit the game both teams are trying to play, SA more power based and Ireland more wide-wide game. If Ireland were trying to dominate up front I would be worried but with game plan we have not so much. What worries me most of all is Porter at scrum time (hopefully his technique has improved) and hopefully in the face of power we dont allow ourselves get flustered like we did in Paris this year, it wasnt the power that hurt us but stupid brain dead things we did throughout that hurt us. My hope is Ireland have been gunning for this game and have a plan to counter the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think ireland will use a very mixed kicking game today to counter the physical aspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is the game on Youtube, like the A game last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not too sure how to call this game. South Africa have the most fearsome squad in world rugby, but I think they frequently perform to less than the sum of their parts. However, that's usually because their pack would much rather brutalise you into submission. If Ireland can avoid an arm wrestle, by constantly changing the point of attack and avoiding double tackles, we can win.

We've seen Leinster and the other Irish sides struggle against the SA franchises in the URC precisely because they can't handle the initial onslaught up front. I hope that we've taken those experiences into account. We'll probably see a lot of kicking for territory and avoiding playing a lot in our own half. Don't want to face the SA pack in close. We won't win by taking them on at their own game.

Not live as it's showing on Virgin Media 2 or Amazon Prime. You can stream it on Virgin Player in Ireland and Northern Ireland, if that is any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The first scrum will tell me all I need to know.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it was on Youtube as the picture quality of the A game last night was far better on Youtube than the Virgin Media Player.

• Advertisement

Its okay if SA are on top up-front but if they are blowing us away up front I would have serious questions of this coaching staff, there is enough quality in that Irish pack that they should be able to atleast be respectable upfront.

That Wales result reaffirms my belief that South Africa used the Summer tour very much as a transition block of games. Will be interesting to see what they throw at us in half an hour.

The TV signal bit I found fine (Sky HD here). What I found to be subpar was the TV directior/production and camerawork at the RDS. Unsure who was responsible for the overall but I'll agree with you that it wasn't as good as it should/could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That training top should be our match jersey

Was the RC also a transitional block of games because they didn't look much better then either.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Rugby against racism... what a pointless and laughable exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Amazon Prime are offering a free month trial (if anyone is struggling for a link).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Is Heaslip getting paid by the word. Shut the feck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im impressed by Irelands defence near their own line. But it's frustrating that we had to do it at all after failing to secure the restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Both sides look well up for it, but we have to be pleased with the work all the Irish are going after. Doris, Hansen, Porter all on a mad one and its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Murray is infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

Conor Murray very shakey , looks like he is finished at this level

Jaysus, they're continuing with the music during breaks in play. It was awful and an atmosphere killer at the RDS last night.

Huge work at the breakdown from Doris and McCloskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Poor enough atmosphere at the game.

Boks doing all of the attacking so far.

Exactly what you want to see from McCloskey, delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cut the breaks. Don't just add poor entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The feck with the music?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see a penalty there. SA player released it and neither Irish player even tried to pick it up.

Advertisement