Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Tesco Knocknacarra have self service ?

Options
  • 05-11-2022 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if Tesco Knocknacarra has self service tills ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭rustyfrog

Yes, they also have "Scan as you shop"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've never understood how the scan as you shop works. Does it save much time?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You check out a scanner when you enter the shop.

You scan stuff as you put it in your trolley. Or again if you remove it.

At the end, return the scanner. A small proportion get selected for a random re-scan, most don't. And you pay.

Time saved? .. meh, depends on the checkout operator.

Biggest customer benefit: you get an accurate running total of what it's going to cost, can adjust as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

I'd say it saves a ton of time. Queuing, putting everything on the belt, re-packing. When you are doing a large family shop, that can take up quite a bit of time. Added bonus of everything being neatly packed where you want it rather than having to race against the checkout person while they fling stuff down the belt.

(And when I was shopping for my mum during covid, one fewer person having touched her shopping - which while it was completely irrelevant to me, gave her a little peace of mind).

• Advertisement

Ok, interesting. I'll have to give it a go sometime. So it sounds like you don't have to queue at a regular til if you use the scanner? I never noticed a special checkout lane in the Headford Rd Tesco but I seldom go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was impressed. Very quiet compared to Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya they have a special area for the self scan. It's next to the express checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Was in there the last day . Staff need to remember to man the self service . Everyone of them flashing red for about 8 minutes for approval while the lady meant to be there took it she could swan around instead … Was quite irritating

If you weren't stuck waiting while Joyce's staff talk to some aul fella for 5 minutes as if you don't exist or have somewhere to be it wouldn't still be Joyces! Seriously, I think every other pensioner in Knocknacarra makes their way to Joyce's once a day for their daily chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sad thing is you might be right. That might be their only chat to someone that day.

And sure isn't that great, only right that the local shop and post office is a hub of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's what happens when you build a suburb without cafes, pubs, community centre, health centre, churches, etc.

Oh wait, Knockers has all those!

Not enough for the population.

Yep, Joyce's has been in Knocknacarra an age before there was much else. People get in their rut and it doesn't matter what comes along afterwards. Would rather have them in the community rather than sweep them under the rug like an Abe Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Absolutely, they can bang away at the chats now at the manned tils. Leaving the express for anyone running , but whoever is manning them should just stay there and do their job . Everyone is happy then

Advertisement