Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Allowance

Options
  • 05-11-2022 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I have slowly evolved to caring for my two parents who both have slow onset dementia. My weekly routine is to travel over to them stay Sunday evening until Wednesday night as I live 3 hours away and then return home and organise transport to mass , doctors day care etc for the other 3 days from my family home. My siblings visit and check in on our parents on Sundays.

I am self employed but my business has suffered so I am not working more than 15 hours per week. 

Would I be entitled to carers allowance as I don’t live with my parents all week although I am on call and with them 3 days and 3 nights.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The time spent providing care must not be less than 35 hours per week, over 5-7 days.

The Department of Social Protection (DSP) will decide if you are providing full time care.

Taken from the citizens info site.

Apply for it and see what happens. Then appeal it if needs be.

5 days is critical thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Whilst you are providing a lot of care and attention, for the purposes of CA you aren’t providing “full time care and attention” and the 3 hours distance between you and they for the majority of the week will disqualify you.

Incidentally you can be employed 18 1/2 hours per week without being disqualified.

Advertisement