Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good First Aid/CPR/Defribillation course for teachers?

• 06-11-2022 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Is there any standard course for teachers to do on the above? We haven't had one for years in our school and I'd like to be able to suggest a good course (where presumably trainers come into the school?). Anybody have recommendations? Is there any certification which would be considered better quality? And how long are such training courses? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Sorry. I don't know why I keep posting blank posts after typing out a reply! Anyway I'll try again. I'm the H and S Officer in my school and I arrange First Aid Responder training every year for interested staff. It's worrying you say this training hasn't been done in your school in years. It should be in your H and S policy that FARs with up to date qualifications are on your staff and retrained very 2 years. If you google FAR training near you, you will get a list of local providers. Most of them do the training online apart from the exam part which has to be done in a room as the people training have to show they can do compressions, use a defib etc. Our staff ie SNAs, teachers and a secretary, had to attend 6 online sessions over 3 weeks and then did the exam in the school. All this took place outside of school hours. The training is VAT exempt and to train about 7 people with Fire Safety training of 2 hours for the whole staff should come in about 1200 euro though you will get quotes in excess of this. Once the training is complete I put a list of all the trained staff up around the school. All staff should get Fire Safety training every 2 years also. Your H and S policy should have all of this in it. Also your defibs need to have the pads serviced every 2 years and replaced immediately if found to need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Have you been in touch with St John's Ambulance service? I'd have thought they'd be a good place to start.

Alternatively you could make enquiries with the PHECC - the statutory body for monitoring pre-hospital emergency care in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

PHECC came in at a very high price when I contacted them. There are plenty of providers out there.

Advertisement