Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou McDonald's interviews today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are absolutely correct.

All this talk from SF about reaching out to everyone, and MON being FM for all and they don't even have the decency to call the place by its real name.

There you go, Godwin's law, well you are a fool to use it, because it is coming straight back at you.

Actually, MLMD has told us that there is no comparison between deaths in a "conflict" and gangland violence, so she is the one saying that the Nazi Holocaust isn't as bad as one criminal lowlife fighting with another criminal lowlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm old enough to remember when saying Godwin's Law was edgy. Jesus! 🙄

No idea what your second point means. Sounds ranty though.

MLMD has told us that deaths in a conflict are not as serious as gangland crime. Now, unless she is portraying her conflict as somewhat more glorified than other conflicts, not only is she saying that gangland crime is worse than the Holocaust, she is also saying that the gangland crime in Ireland is worse than Putin invading Ukraine.

She really didn't think through her horrific justification of the sins of the PIRA.

Misquotinmg already.

Where did she say it 'was not as serious'?

“I think if we’re going to talk about things that happened in the course of the conflict, that’s one thing. That’s one discussion,” she told Newstalk’s On the Record with Gavan Reilly.

“As somebody who represents the North Inner City from Dublin, and who has seen and sees at first hand the damage, the corrosive damage that so-called gangland has caused to communities, there is absolutely no comparison,” she said.

Ms McDonald said former UK prime minister Margaret Thatcher coined the phrase “crime is crime”.

“Margaret Thatcher coined that phrase so if you’re of that mind, you’re of that mind,” Ms McDonald said.

“The things that happened in the course of a very long political conflict – which thank God is now long over, we’ve had 25 years of peace – there is no comparison between that and the kind of challenge, and it is an ongoing challenge, to our society between this and the so-called gangland crime epidemic poses.

“I say that as somebody who represents fine communities, the best of people, for whom this is a daily scourge.”

Clearly she was referencing the 'ongoing' nature of gangland crime.

• Advertisement

The political conflict between Russia and Ukraine has lasted for 31 years since Ukraine became independent, so as MLMD says, "the things that happened in the course of a very long political conflict.....there is no comparison between that and the kind of challenge, and it is an ongoing challenge, to our society between this and the so-called gangland crime epidemic poses."

So pretty much conclusive what I said. She sees criminal lowlifes fighting with other criminal lowlifes as worse than Russia invading Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I think she is a poor cliched speaker. Well coached but just soundbites. No facts no figures just vagueness

"I was talking to a man who....."

Still remember her mansplaining comment from the last debates, incredibly cringe worthy

They are different challenges blanch.

Simple point.

Oh, is this the new defence of MLMD? She meant they are different challenges?

The lengths you go to defend her are incredible.

She said there was no comparison between murders, beatings, rapes etc. in a very long political conflict to the same things in gangland violence, thereby saying that the Hutch/Kinahan feud was more serious than Russia invading Ukraine. Pretty simple to understand.

I'm not defending her, I'm calling out your misquote.

Where did she say 'it was not as serious'? Or that the Hutch Kinahin feud was 'more serious' than Russia invading Ukraine?

Jesus, utterly ridiclous spinning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Not sure if you read the first post, but it was about a car crash of an interview where she insinuated that those who blew innocent men women and children to bits in northern Ireland and Britain were not of the same ilk as a north inner city criminal.

Basically, they were "good criminals" and therefore were welcome to be part of sinn fein.

Here is what she said quoted.

“I think if we’re going to talk about things that happened in the course of the conflict, that’s one thing. That’s one discussion,” she told Newstalk’s On the Record with Gavan Reilly.

“As somebody who represents the North Inner City from Dublin, and who has seen and sees at first hand the damage, the corrosive damage that so-called gangland has caused to communities, there is absolutely no comparison,” she said.

Ms McDonald said former UK prime minister Margaret Thatcher coined the phrase “crime is crime”.

“Margaret Thatcher coined that phrase so if you’re of that mind, you’re of that mind,” Ms McDonald said.

“The things that happened in the course of a very long political conflict – which thank God is now long over, we’ve had 25 years of peace – there is no comparison between that and the kind of challenge, and it is an ongoing challenge, to our society between this and the so-called gangland crime epidemic poses.

“I say that as somebody who represents fine communities, the best of people, for whom this is a daily scourge.”

All wars/conflict have their terrible atrocities and wrongs. Would you liken the protagonists in those wars/conflicts to 'gangland crimminals'?

Let me think, the beating of Paul Quinn to death, an atrocity committed by the PIRA is far worse than any gangland violence.

Maybe you and MLMD are correct, if you are saying that the PIRA were far worse than any gangland criminals.

Maybe she thinks that you need to be a really bad psychopathic criminal to join SF. The common or garden gangland criminal just simply won't cut it, when you can get people willing to watch while they bomb a kid in a boat to death, or who think nothing of abusing the welcome of a safe house by raping the young boys living there.

So you cannot point to where she said 'it was not as serious' and admit you were spinning.

Stop spinning what she said, leave that to belligerent Unionists like Bryson etc.

Who are you trying to fool with this nonsense?

She said there was no comparison implying that those involved in gangland crime are not welcome in SF, but those who are happy to beat every bone in Paul Quinn's body are welcome, and that whatever psychopath sat and watched while he blew a kid up in a boat is also welcome.

If you are trying to pretend she said something else, it is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Just point to where she said what you claimed?

She was clearly talking about the challenges of dealing with gangland crime and a conflict that reached a negotiated settlement and peace that has lasted 25 years as far as the IRA are concerned.

The IRA as a movement was not involved in Quinn's murder. We know this from the authorities vested with monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Good loser

Yeah she was all that on The Week in Politics on Sunday. You have her well measured. She keeps prolonging and extending her sentences/replies 'Let me say this' for instance is a completely superfluous phrase. When pressed (lightly) on how SF were to pay for their housing she had 'the Govt says money is no object to their housing plan' The point there of course is the Govt may have THEIR housing plan covered - but the SF plan is for MUCH MORE housing.

It was interesting in the discussion yesterday on MLMD's speech that nobody referenced the significance of the date - the 35th anniversary of one of the most hideous PIRA bombings, when they tried to blow up a bunch of old men walking in a parade, and some spectators.

No comparison with gangland violence is right, the PIRA were far worse.

It goes without saying that the lack of sensitivity to the anniversaries of such events shows how far reconciliation has to travel. It can start with people coming forward to admit their involvement in atrocities such as this and do the time for the crime.

13 children among the injured.

Everyone should watch the contemporary BBC News report linked in the news article. No warning. Civilians.

Horrific, we should never forget what was done that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What about Aidan Mcenespies family who was shot dead by the British state? Or the victims of the bloody sunday massacre by the British state? We could go on forever.

It doesn't sit well with some but there was a cause in the North whereas gangland crime is purely about profit and gouging. The North was a struggle to achieve civil rights for nationalists and to remove british rule due to the conditions and apartheid inflicted on Catholics.

Of course innocent civilians shouldn't have been targeted and that is atrocious and unfortunate. it was a war in the North though. Like the struggle down south in the early 20th century.

• Advertisement

I agree. For every atrocity on one side there is one on the other. A classic war/conflict situation. Which is why I don't select them to rant about.

I don't celebrate those events either, and neither would I vote for any political party that included those implicated in those shootings among their membership.

However the biggest problem with your post is the first two words - "What about" - as it sums up the default reaction to any criticism of Sinn Fein.

You voted for the GFA which had as a requirement a pledge to move into democratic politics. That was always going to mean that participants in the conflict would be in politics.

Now you want to selectively target some who did what they agreed to do.

No selective targetting.

There is no room in politics for anyone associated with Bloody Sunday or the Eniskillen Bombing. The reason you think I am selective is because the only party that dares put forward those associated with bombings as candidates for election is Sinn Fein. They selected themselves.

And when you voted for the GFA that was the time you should have put some thought into this.

Combatants were encouraged into democratic politics, and they went into democratic politics and lived up to their committments. You don't get to have second thoughts now that they have a chance to be in goverment.

You do have a right not to vote for them. That's all.

When you have to resort to whatabout the GFA when asked to condemn the Enniskillen bombing and the animals that planted the bomb, it says it all.

Who asked me to condemn it?

I have condemned all the violence that happened and those who allowed it happen, including the IRA and SF. I don't use selective events or victims like some.

You are the one reneging on what was agreed in the GFA not me. It is entirely relevant to the discussion to review your committment to it.

BTW, everyday has significance to some victims or other in the conflict/war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭rock22

I assume then that you you condemn anyone in the UK who votes for the Labour or Conservative parties as they were both in power when the British army terrorised the Catholic population of NI?

The think is , you cannot support the GFA and then condem those you put aside the gun to enter democratic politics, as they were asked to do. That is the reality of moving from military conflict , with wrongs on both sides, to peaceful coexistence. At the time of the vote for the GFA, there were some who argued against it and demanded a military solution, i.e. a military defreat for the IRA and UVF etc. But the vast majority of people wanted the GFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

according to blanch - afaik - the birts can do what they want as they have a 'legitimate' army

• Advertisement

What the UK does is for the UK, I don't share the post-colonial obsession with them that the exclusionary nationalists have.

I don't condemn people who vote for Sinn Fein, I condemn Sinn Fein for continuing to support killers, thugs, child abusers and rapists.

Advertisement