Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane watching webcam

Options
  • 06-11-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong section, couldn't find a camera specific section

I live quite close to Dublin airport and I've an idea for a pet project. I was going to make a weather station using something like a raspberry pi and put it up on the roof of my house

I had an idea of putting a camera up there as well so I could maybe watch the planes taking off

If I'm being really cheeky I might put a microphone up there to measure the engine noise as well, if I ever need evidence for a noise complaint, but that's another story 😁

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of outdoor PTZ IP cameras that can look up at the sky. Most are security cameras that look down and I'm not sure they'll be weatherproof flipped upside down

Does anyone have any recommendations of what kind of camera to look around for?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just buy an ip67 box with a clear cover or a specific CCTV camera housing. You need to warm the inside or the clear part will fog up. CCTV housings usually have liw voltage or mains heaters that also evaporates rain.

You could always mount a dome camera at a slight angle so it can look.up in one direction. Most are rubbish quality.

Advertisement