Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps for having your electricity to your apartment stopped.

Options
  • 07-11-2022 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Hi, I would just like to know how I go about having my electricity cut, do I call up an esb engineer to come out?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

If in an apartment the first call may be the property management/council to see if they allow that in an aprtment building, i remember going through the rules for our place and it wasn't actually allowed for reasons around dereliction of care to the building or something along that line..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

Theres no property management I was googling a reci there, mentioned in one of these forums for shutting off electricity, costing about 160 euro, they have to be certified and registered., anyone know any more information about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

You can call your provider who will arrange it with esbn

do you mind me asking why

it may be a costly effort to get it reconnected again as this may require certification and a fee to esbn. Depending on age of installation it may require some work to pass the certification process

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you looking to cut power to the apartment for a short time or to have it disconnected permanently in your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I suppose they'll have a main breaker panel for each apartment somewhere?

There must be some way to stop you tripping the power for everyone if you have some dodgy appliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Presumably the OP does not want to have to pay the crazy standing fees and levies which go even higher with low usage (which is anti climate change).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Low usage charge has been removed; and only applied to one provider anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You will continue to accrue service charges even after the supply is de-energized. After three months the supplier can de-register the site at which point charges stop. But when you go to reconnect you will run into extra charges.

I really would not do this. There is very little saving in it in the end.

• Advertisement

Bills are astronomical, people stealing electricity from next door (6/7 people living next door), flat mate slow to help paying the bill and I'm really stressed by all of it, and personally I don't need any electricity, I only have a phone and a tablet that I charge, I can get some battery packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So you will continue to live there?

That's lunacy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Use the electrician to prevent the theft of electricity from next door for a start. No need to go without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Not a great idea. You’re better off trying to resolve the issues you’re having first

how are next door stealing electricity

why isn’t your flatmate contributing

What type of heating do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Call esb networks and say that it seems like your meter has been tampered with.

Dunno how they're stealing electricity, all I know is when I switched off the switch for our apartment, they came out a half hour layer complaining the electricity was off in their apartment.

We have electric heaters, I haven't used them yet and I don't plan on using them.

I gave my flatmate an ultimatum either help me put money aside for the next electrical bill while payin me some money already owed to me else I'll close my direct debit account and switch off the electricity, he agreed, but we'll see this week which is the deadline I gave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Have you mentioned the unorthodox electrical system to your landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Chances are they're not stealing and you switched them off by accident ,hard to say from here

Disconnection if it's even allowed is a pretty bad idea mostly as you've no light heat or any form of power for emergency use, place would be uninhabitable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is this your apartment or are you renting?

You can get a prepaid meter installed. But they are more expensive to run. But might help people to control their use.

You might want to get an electrician out to check the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I remember your last thread from a couple of months ago. You were given some good advice there. What was your last bill? From what you said about turning off the power and next door complaining theirs was off too, I wonder are the two apartments connected? Have you asked them what their bills are like?

Anyway you cannot live with no power. What would you do for cooking and heat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We've been through all this before...

So, has an electrician taken a look at what's going on yet or not?

Gas stove

I did he said there was no problem, I'll take a picture of the whole meter apartment setup and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Figure out how many units are being used where and when, it's not that hard you can monitor the meter daily or more often if you prefer, check your bills to see what rate you're on

esb electrician had a look, said there was nothing, wrong, month or two later switched off the meter for our apartment 2, peopke from apartment 3 came out complaining half an hour later, that all the power was off in their apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Kalimah

There is a problem. You’re probably paying your neighbours bill too. I live in a 4 bed detached house and my bill is around the €230 mark for two months. I cannot understand how you haven’t found the issue yet, months after you posted originally.

Now you’re taking the nuclear option of getting the power switched off. Absolute madness.

I don't think they actually get any bills, I've never seen Any paper bills in their hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

He's obviously wrong so. Get a different electrician.

Also why would people in a different apartment be complaining to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not sure how helpful that is, I'd say you're fairly well under the current average electricity cost for 2 months for a house of 4 people.

• Advertisement

Nope clearly marked electric switch for apartment 2 and electric switch for apartment 3, we switched offcthe electric switch for apartment 2.

Advertisement