Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps for having your electricity to your apartment stopped.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Gooser14

When you turned off the apt 2 switch did the power go off in your apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Did the power in your apartment (2) go off as well as the neighbours in 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kraft.l

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Where's the meter for number 6? And, for the third or fourth time, have you spoken to the landlord? You were told to do this in the other thread.

• Advertisement

You need to demonstrate that to an electrician if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

What happens if you turn off apt 3?

And look at the readings on no 3 for a few days and see how much they are using.

I did the other day at night, to see if their lights went off, the lights didnt, I checked to see if the lights went off in my apartment they didnt.

• I don’t know why anyones replying to this.

The fact is this is probably a wind up & even if it is not the OP cannot disconnect the electricity supply of someone’s apartment. You rent it but your landlord owns it & you cannot de-energise the property without their consent.

In fact you some companies won’t even let a tenant change provider without the landlords permission.

So if you’re serious OP about what’s happening, you may as well face the fact you won’t be de-energising the apartment.

Plenty have explained steps that you can and should take.

• Advertisement

Ehh, yeh, haven't talked to him in a year other complicated issues, yeh Deffo gonna have to talk to him this week.

I somehow don't believe you will, as you were to do so months ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Whilst I understand other posters saying tell the landlord this, ask neighbours that's, get an electrician to do the other, the op shouldn't have to do that, the set up should be right,

I myself, along with sods law, rented two properties where I was paying for my electricity and someone else's, first place was a block of 12 apartments that was built in the late nineties, I lived on the ground floor and "somehow" my meter was connected to the apartment above me, I'll go into some detail, I moved into the apartment the last week of August, first bill came end of October, the next a few days before Xmas, both bills cost around 150 euro each time, the apartment above me was vacant until the 20th of December, that apartment has one extra bedroom (extra electric heating) and extra bathroom with electric shower along with one extra storage heater due to the layout, anyway my next bill came in February and was just around 425 euro, I was shocked didn't know what was going on, I put it down to using the dryer more and I did cook Xmas dinner for my family and friends, also heaters in bedroom and bathroom were convection heaters and blow heaters respectively, of which there was 2 each, so I assumed we weren't using them economically, there were timers on the convection heaters so we set them thinking it would help, etc, etc, anyway the bill for April was 470, you can imagine my horror, and then I noticed the bill was estimated, checked the meter against my bill noticed the figures were higher by a good amount of units, rang ESB and the lady told me I actually owed closer to 600, I asked would that be normal as she was able to look at the usage historically and she agreed and said sometimes higher, my partner actually flagged to me would it be possible that we were paying for the other apartments usage, so I did ask all my neighbours what their bills were, it transpired that all the ground floor apartments tenants were paying crazy amounts and the upstairs tenants paying between 50 and 70 every 2 months, so we went to the management company and our landlords, it turned out we were right the 6 ground floor apartments meters were connected to the above apartments, the upstairs apartments were just paying for the common areas, heating, indoor and outdoor lighting, the intercom system and the security systems, all ground floor tenants got a 60 percent rebate/refund, in cash, there was Investigations made management company, the landlords, even the estate agent that sold the apartments and the builders who built the properties, who paid the rebates I don't know, but I was glad it got rectified,

On the second occasion, I rented a cottage attached to a very large working farm with milking parlour, some sort of electrical feeding system, industrial lighting and pump house (my water was mains) amongst other things, in this circumstance everything was going to the one meter, mine, the cottage, a fact I only figured out when I got my first bill, it was way to high for the humble cottage, landlord was the farmer, I approached him, he didn't like the fact I figured out I was paying for the farms electricity, first time landlord he was, however he offered to pay the whole bill and fortnight later someone from the ESB came and installed a meter in a shed and that sorted that...

Wow gladyou got that sorted, yeh that's probably what's going on, thanks for that post I'll be onto the landlord this week.

So you're agreeing with other posters then? The OP needs to get someone (e.g. landlord, electrician) to verify if he's paying for other apartment(s) electricity?

So, after all that litany, you're saying what everybody else did - tell the landlord. Why start with that First sentence then?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Taking this at face value, it seems like the supply for apt 2 & 3 are coming from the same mcb or isolator ('red switch'). The labels for apt 2 & 3 have been swopped around in some attempt to trick or confuse people. There's no way that it was installed like that. It seems unlikely however that an electrician hasn't spotted this. You said an esb electrician was out already and said everything is fine? Although, it is possible that he did not remove the cover from the enclosure with the isolators, as it's not esb property or their responsibility if it's installed downstream of the meters.

Take note of the reading on all meters including the very last number on the right. Check again in a few hours. If one of the meters hasn't changed, it's a good indication that something is wrong. Even if nobody is home all day, the meter reading will increase slightly. There's always something consuming electricity. A fridge compressor will run every couple of hours at least. Only exception is the landlords meter, which might not change unless some lights are on in common areas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

My apologies the first paragraph should have been at the bottom of my post, in fact I was supposed to add more to that paragraph, I'd written out the "Litany" first and I took a break and came back to the post, only now I noticed the mistake, an error on my behalf, what I meant by the error was that kind of nonsense should not be occurring, electricity should be connected to each property properly, there should be no excuses whatsoever, I'm sure me and the op aren't the only people this has happened to, it's tantamount to a crime or stealing, although in my apartment situation it wasn't the other tenants fault...

Yeh it's a frustrating situation, according to other people on this forum I should have sorted this out from the other forum months ago, in some respects my hands were tied for other complicated reasons I couldn't go into, but yeh, gonna have to bite the bullet and either get onto the landlord or Esb thanks everyone for yours and everyone's valuable input.

• Advertisement

Go to the landlord, ESB Networks can't and won't investigate beyond the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We had a similar situation with a house rented from a farmer. Low usage; high bills. The meters were all out in a shed and all was being charged to us. Farm machinery, electric fencing etc, That got changed.

Advertisement