Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live animals at Christmas Market

• 07-11-2022 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi.

I'm part of a voluntary committee that organise a Santa's grotto at our local Christmas market every year. This year one of the members has suggested some pens with farm animals (donkey, sheep etc.) I'm conscious that there are risks associated with live animals and suggested that we'd probably need special insurance but I can't find anything online. Can anyone point me in the direction of some guidance or legislation please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I just wouldn't do it. The donkey and goat that featured in the Mansion House crib (now cancelled) have been doing that job for 10 years so they were used to being static in a pen and being and stared at by humans. They are owned by a family who treat them as family pets which explains why they are extremely docile and happy to stand around all day doing nothing. Taking wild animals from a field or off a mountain and sticking them in a pen under lights could produce unpredictable results, especially if they are not used to being close to children. Petting farms around the country do Christmas cribs with animals every year but again, those animals are used to children and being stared at so it's no big deal.

Easy for one of your members to suggest this but I'm betting that the same member will be nowhere to be seen when you look for volunteers to remove the manure, feed them and supervise them. Because if you do manage to get insurance, I'd expect it to come with the condition that at least during opening hours, there is always a person there to supervise the setup i.e. stop children from trying to cimb into the enclosure or throw food to the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LLL11

Thanks @coylemj. I fully agree and said that I wouldn't be in favour of risking them getting spooked and hurting someone or causing damage. So they asked me to look into insurance etc. I was hoping to find some kind of regulations that would put a stop to it but the only ones I can find seem to be around transportation and sale of animals. The UK have decent guidance but as usual Ireland are well behind!

I don't think you'll find a regulatory roadblock. Ireland being Ireland and the farmer lobby being as powerful as it is, the only regulations that I'm aware of are (as you've suggested) around the transport of animals - how many continuous hours they can be in a truck and how often they should get water. And what regulations there are are probably poorly (or not at all) enforced.

No, your best bet would be to tell your fellow members that you're going to draw up a rota of people who will do a 2 to 4 hour watch on the stand. Responsibilities will include cleaning up the manure, preventing kids from jumping into the animal enclosure and intercepting any food that people throw to to the animals. I think you'll find that any enthusiasm for the project will fizzle out pretty rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You could hire in animals from one or other of the petting farms/zoos. Besides taking away a lot of responsibilities from you on the day, the issue of insurance should be addressed by the farm itself.

Don't think that would be a runner. If the petting farm's insurance was prepared to indemnify the OP's committee in the event of a claim, they would in all probability insists that the animals were constantly under the supervision and control of personnel supplied by the petting farm. Which will put the costs through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 LLL11

Thanks both. It's a small rural village where half of the local committee are farmers who have agreed to supply a couple of animals. Every part of it is voluntary so we don't have any budget for insurance or renting animals, we buy and donate supplies each year and depend on volunteers. I'm going to outline all of the risks at the next meeting, suggest the rota and we'll see where it goes from there. Might also throw in a mention of bird flu and other agricultural diseases and the risk of passing from one farm to another. Thanks for your help!

OP, will you have public liability insurance cover? If not and your organisation is not an incorporated body with limited liability, don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

OBSERVATION

I drove down Dawson Street today around 3pm. Nice presentation at the Mansion House with the Christmas theme. BUT, there was only one person inside the presentation - the security guard.

Speaks volumes👎🙄👎

There are no live animals this year in the Mansion House crib. This is a bigger story which has been well covered in the media. I suggest you Google 'mansion house crib'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Where did I say there are live animals at the Mansion House Crib?

I suggest You read what I wrote again. I only commented on the fact there was only a security guard at the ‘new experience’ there, not one visitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement