Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house I just bought (CGT?)

Options
  • 07-11-2022 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I just bought a house in August and then received a job offer on the other side of the country and so I need to sell again and move. However I believe you have to hold the house for 1-2 years or else you end up paying Capital Gains Tax. I'm finding it impossible to get anyone in Revenue to give me an answer. Does anyone know how the law currently stands? Thank you

Comments

There is no requirement to "hold the house for 1-2 years" for PPR relief. Principal Private Residence (PPR) Relief (revenue.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If its your principal residence then no CGT due. If you bought the house with Help to Buy then you need to pay that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cox

Thank you both, that was very helpful. Very hard to contact revenue to get a definitive answer on this (or anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It also has hardly gone up in value since august and you can deduct all purchasing and selling costs against any increase (legal fees, stamp duty, estate agent fees - probably in excess of 10k all in)

So even if it was not your PPR, any cgt would be minimal if at all

Revenue are not great on the phone, but really good on email if you need a response.

Advertisement