Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very random question about an incident years back

Options
  • 07-11-2022 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Only in my mind because DAA on twitter are offering return trip to Nuremberg as a prize this week.

I landed in Nuremberg once, and took off again. On way from Dublin to Athens, Aer Lingus flight, May 2015 (i think).

No reason was given for our unscheduled stop (or, at least, I didn't hear any announcement and cabin crew just shrugged when asked). We were on the ground for maybe 45 mins. Nobody disembarked, plane didn't approach any terminal buildings, just sat on apron.

The only explanation in my head that makes sense is fuel stop. Either too little fuel onboard at departure (error by either pilot in how much was requested, or provider of fuel who supplied too little), or flight used way more than expected due to unexpected headwinds etc?

Anyone want to throw in any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

PS I only know it was Nuremberg as I turned my phone on while on the ground to check google maps, again no information was forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sudocremegg

I would be very surprised if there was no cabin announcements. Are you sure you weren't just not paying attention, asleep or listening to music?

This happened to me on a flight to Gran Canaria a long time ago. Due to really bad weather we had to land in Seville for 45 minutes to refuel but they told us all this. Weird that the cabin crew shrugged. Do you have a date/time?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

Are you able to narrow down the date a bit? In May 2015 the EI schedule to ATH was 3 pw and all flights that month went as planned with no diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

Ive checked old emails, ei442, 29/5/14

Departure time was 15.30 so I can't imagine I was asleep. I likely had a pint or two while waiting to board, quite possibly bought a beer or two onboard also. I was probably listeningto music and reading, but was travelling with my wife so wasn't totally oblivious to the world around me.

My memory is hazy. But my recollection is that my first indication that something unpredicted was happening was noticing the plane was descending, and wondering why as this was only after 2 hours of a 4 hour flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the airline I worked for the flight plan fuel was planned by the flight dispatcher.

what would appear on the flight plan was the minimum they could depart with…

of course the captain may not be in agreement with the flight dispatcher and on occasion might want to take more but less was seemingly never ok.

it’s possible the weather at destination disimproved not in line with the forecast. Therefore a fuel stop was thought appropriate for holding and or divert.

Also its possible something like a fuel pump malfunctioned during flight and they thought it appropriate to land and take on extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement