Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Gabriel 3 Arena Sunday 25th June 2023

• 08-11-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

Just received email from PG confirming new album and tour for next year. EU/UK dates first before crossing the pond.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭fafy

These could be saucy,as fully seated gigs.

But, he has an amazing live show- always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The 2014 show was phenomenal.

And he's got Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché with him again for this tour.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

His ‘93 Point gig, for the “Us” tour, remains in my top ten gigs of all time, it was unreal, and a setup that was simply staggeringly, so far ahead for its time.

He’s always very innovative, in the live environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

That was a great night with Sinead singing Don't Give Up with Peter, to be fair all his live shows are excellent and always different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 catthemaggie

Hi all, my oldest is 18 in December and he's a huge Peter Gabriel fan so these are an obvious gift idea! Any idea if there is presale or if these will likely be a quick sell out?

• Advertisement

I just got 3 tickets in the PG pre-sale, sign up on his website for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 catthemaggie

Thanks so much, I've just signed up so hopefully will get access to presale

They are pricey, but has to be done, got two seats in Block A row 1, €130 each, incl fees.

2 seats on flat would have been €90 extra

presale link:(no code needed)

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/peter-gabriel-i-o-the-tour-dublin-25-06-2023/event/18005D677B2F4AF6?did=artpre

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

34 years ago he was looking a bit different

Fortunately I have a gap in the schedule on 25 June!

Definitely one I'm looking forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Ticket acquired. Seen him twice before, both gigs incredible. Here’s a couple of shots from the 2014 gig.

• Advertisement

Got the eleventh (Earl of Mar) row on the flat.

I'm just delighted he's coming back.

I was on the barrier for the 2014 gig; it was incredible.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Peter Gabriel has been my "if you could see just one concert who would you like to see" for years now and I honestly thought that ship had sailed Delighted to get the chance to see him. Tickets bought, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Pricey, they are a rip off.

A four 4 increase on his 2014 UK tour for floor tickets, they were £45, now £188.

No justification for it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utter rip off at those prices. How utterly dissapointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Yeah, Id have thought 75 or 80 euro would have been a fair price for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Also see the "Premium Tickets" are in play for this one too. What a swizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭OldRio

He seems to have lost his earnest 'right on' views and embraced capitalism big time. (Did you see what I did)

Those premium ticket prices are off the charts.

Good insight here from Bass player Tony Levin, for tonights I/O opening night in Krakow

https://tonylevin.com/road-diaries/peter-gabriel-io-tour/in-krakow-for-1st-show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The setlist from the tour's first gig looks like the whole new album and half of the So album makes the majority of the show. A couple from Us and Up nothing from the first four Peter Gabriel albums except Solsbury Hill and Biko (which you would expect to appear)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/peter-gabriel/2023/tauron-arena-krakow-poland-2bb9d4ea.html

Looks good to me, and two tracks from “US”, its been 21 years since last studio album, give me, all the new stuff, allthough i’d like to see one or two more from “US”, and drop one from “SO”.

• Advertisement

Spoiler alert!

some videos from last night:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/peter-gabriel-io-tour-setlist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Be interested to see how the setlist changes/evolves or if it remains more or less the same before it gets to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Mr Gabriel was fantastic as was his band. Every single one of them slapped. A gig to remember.

Superb show from Peter and his band, great musicians and a great crowd.Setlist included quite a few songs from i/o but they fitted in very well with the more famous songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I'll be in the minority but I thought Peter Gabriel was a disaster tonite.

I was only in the 3Arena last Monday for the Pet Shop Boys whom I don't care for at all and were unexpectedly brilliant.

I was in Block E Row 2 and the sound was muddy and dead. I could barely make out one word he sang all evening.

Most of his numbers fell flat, the visuals (I admit to bias here) were peppered throughout with images related to a batshit crazy minority religion (that believes there's a Supreme Being watching all over us) and when he started prattling on about "the Elders" and how they're all making decisions on behalf in our best interests I just totally wrote him off after that.

And he himself looks horrible: bloated, fat, no stage presence. "Sledgehammer" was delivered like wedding karaoke. "Big Time" and "Solisbury Hill" were reduced to conventional radio tat of the likes of One Republic and Maroon 5 with the funk and magic sucked out of them.

Our tickets cost €175 each; enjoy the contribution to your pension pot Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Hmmm, was in block e row 28 and the audio for his voice was a little iffy at the start but when he switched to the larger mic it transformed. Took the ma to it and she thought his voice was fantastic.

I loved the different visuals and **** knows where you’re getting the religion thing from, did he piss in your cornflakes this morning or sommat?

As I said it's a "minority" religion. I spotted it early on; I wouldn't expect most to. When he started shiteing on about "the Elders" and how we should look up to them and the great work they do (I'm sure you heard that weird part)...I knew I was right and had him sussed.

Apart from all that: no way was tonite worth €175. I also thought the band were crap and I never say that about any backing band, ever.

I think you will be in the minority. I'm surprised how scathing your comments are. I was fifth row on the flat, and the sound was perfect. But I concede that experiences can differ around the venue. I thought Neil Tennant was often close to being drowned out at Pet Shop Boys (I was a few rows up from the floor, in the centre). Everyone else thought the sound was perfect.

You can't really compare Pet Shop Boys' greatest hits show with a tour that's showcasing a lot of new material. They're totally different in tone and content.

He didn't "prattle on" about The Elders. It was about three sentences, and was clearly there primarily to include his introduction of Mary Robinson.

Also, to describe his appearance as "horrible: bloated and fat" is inaccurate and unfair. He's 73. He hasn't looked like he does on the cover of So for a long time now.

Oh, and Sledgehammer as "wedding karaoke"? I certainly didn't think so, but I'd crash any wedding party with Tony Levin, Manu Katché and David Rhodes in the band.

My comments are scathing and deservedly so. The cheapest ticket up the back was €149, mid price most of 3Arena that we paid was €175 and your flat tickets cost €337.50.

Yes he's 73 but bloated 73 year olds don't in general charge those prices to audiences to watch them stumble across a stage to lousy generic renditions of their hits delivered with muddy sound engineering.

Grace Jones aged 75 delivered a stellar set at Beyond The Pale last weekend. Peter Gabriel is totally up his own arse and wildly overrated and no one seems to have the guts to tell him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The elders are a group that were founded by Mandela, they may have their heads up their holes in thinking they can actually affect anything but there’s no malign intent there.

I’ve seen some gloriously crap bands and that was about as far as you can get from it without going to a different planet. He, Levin and co do have same shtick routines every gig but their hardcore fans lap it up and it’s harmless.

it was overpriced but I paid it figuring that it’s likely the last chance to see him in rude health, not wishing ill on the man but he is in his 70s.

Advertisement