Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraising with Cultural Events

Options
  • 08-11-2022 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm a Board member of a new enough charity that focuses on suicide prevention and awareness. Our Board is meeting next week for the first time and we are contemplating moving into the cultural events space to begin fundraising for a massive project we are about to undertake. Part of our strategy is to sell programs at the events. However, one of our board members has raised concerns that this may simply be a waste of time and money as businesses don't seem to get behind them any more. Seemingly, even schools putting on events are struggling to get businesses to buy program space as they find that the programs simply don't get read.

I'm wondering how accurate this is?

I'm considering an A5 program, 48 pages minimum with at least half of it dedicated to advertising space. Would anybody here have experience in these sort of activities that would be willing to give some pointers on how to run these types of events? What strategies do you use for selling advertising? Do programs just not work anymore? If not, how do you fund these events? Any advice at all would be most welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I used be a teacher until recently and yes, it is very hard. Usually the only people who'd sponsor us were people who needed to stay "in" with us - the shop who got to run a pop up shop at events, gang we send our student to for uniforms / books. It would be very hard to get anyone else to. They just have other ways of advertising these days so they don't need to pay to advertise in a programme. It would just be if they wanted to donate to the charity anyway. Charities are finding it very hard these days. A lot of the traditional ways of fundraising - bag packs in shopping centres etc are pretty much gone. It's all gone to online events now. A challenge with a goFund Me.

Advertisement