Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini PC Recommendations

• 09-11-2022 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a mini PC like a NUC or similar in the new year. My main requirement is that it has 2x HDMI ports which some NUCs do, but I was hoping to buy an AMD-based system like the Asus PN51, which unfortunately only has 1x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort. It also has USB-C with DisplayPort support, but then you're getting into adaptors and dongles which aren't always reliable in my experience.

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Comments

ive had two NUCs serving as plex servers/always on home servers over the past decade, very good build quality and spec, not the cheapest option but brilliant no-hassle options.

adding extra drive/ram and blowing out the dust the only bits ive ever needed to do.

whats the use case?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Mostly software development with a bit of light gaming like command and conquer so should be good from you said

I have two Intel based NUCs also, one of them is connected to a TV and monitor, I use the HDMI port for the TV and a USB-C to HDMI adaptor for the monitor it works well for me and the adaptor was a cheap one I got online. Great bits of kit but the fan can get a little loud when doing anything intensive.

well the last time i looked you had your choice of chipset etc so i think youd find one the suited that alright

re fan- blow out that dust! makes all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I got a HP mini g5 off adverts. It's a bit bigger than a nuc, maybe 6" each side instead of 4", but performance wise it would likely be much faster if you run anything compute heavy. It has a Intel 9700t versus the low power "u" laptop CPUs typically in the nucs.

Got a VESA Mount and mounted it to the wall behind the tv (the tv is mounted as well, so couldn't attach it to the back of the tv). It does have 2x display ports (no HDMI), but using a display port to HDMI cable which works fine.

At €170, probably the best value computer thingy I've bought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Raoul

No point creating a new thread. I am looking for a recommendation for a mini-pc or nuc to run proxmox and HA on. I would also use it to back up my laptop data to an SSD.

It would always be on so low power would be good. Any recommendations?

This on adverts look decent:

http://www.adverts.ie/28781581

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Advertisement