Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day/ night tariff or smart meter?

Options
  • 09-11-2022 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi- just installed PV panels/ battery system with an EV on the way!- I was going to apply for a smart meter but am a bit sceptical now after hearing (but not confirming) that the cost per KW would substantially increase against what we are on at the moment. I think I should apply for a day/ night "meter" despite excess going to the grid "for free"?🤔

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

We have EV with PV panels on the way! ESB Networks put in a smart meter while my back was turned, while I was getting our charge point installed. I probably could have got it taken out again, but anyway I decided to go with Electric Ireland Smart plan that offers zero rate electricity on Saturdays (or Sundays). Yes the regular rate during the week is high at about 44c, but charging the car once a week for free is big (covers me for the week a.t.m.) Have moved some other usage to Saturday too which suits us fine. Never had a night meter and not a fan of running machines during the night. Gas c.h. heats the water in tank during the week, so not a high use of electricity at the higher rate.

It all depends on your own usage profile, but this is worth considering if you will have an E.V. Of course solar will meet some of the car charging April to Sept anyway, but it will also reduce the number of units being charged at the high daily rates for some of the year. Swings and roundabouts..... so far I like it. I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Toby22

Hi, I contacted my energy supplier recently, dual fuel bundle, to enquire about smart tariffs. Very honest guy told me that unless I use 60% of my electricity at nighttime it was not the plan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

100% go for the d/n meter while they still allow it, especially if you have a battery/EV

I think the energia EV plan is still the best and you still get paid for FIT deemed export on d/n which is way better than smart meter FIT as you can be exporting 0 and still get paid.

Advertisement