Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Plants

Options
  • 09-11-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Is it too late to move ferns (not sure what type) from one place in my garden to another? Dublin based.

I want to move some from a very shady spot at the back of south facing back garden to much brighter spot in the front garden.

Hard to know with the bizarre weather!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's a perfect time to move plants, but I'm not too sure if the fern would be suited to a sunnier spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Most ferns move ok in my experience, but they are very different from one another so you may get varying results. Some seem to be better moved in the spring.

However, why are you moving them from shade to sun? Most - not all, but most - are happier in shade and are very valuable for filling shady places.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Thanks for the replies, my post was not that clear. I have now moved the ferns! The spot they were was being overgrown by weeds, ivy and all sorts in "wild corner" of my garden, I could hardly see them. new spot is much brighter but somewhat shaded.

I also moved lavenders, foxgloves and lupins...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

keep an eye on the ferns, I had moved mine to an area I thought was just as shady as before and they didnt like it at all. back to the north facing side of the house and plumped back up!

I think what probably caused my issue was that the new spot was sheltered from rain also, so they were drying out.

Advertisement