Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards DCM22 Graduates Thread - A Deeper Understanding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Hey all, I did about 53km last week over 6 runs, I wanted to get a Parkrun in as I won't get much chance from next month on.

Monday - 9.4km @ 6:25/km

Tuesday - 8.9km: 5:11/km - This included a WU, 6 x 800 intervals at 4:20/km with 2/3 mins recovery and CD.

Wednesday - 8km @ 5:36/km

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 7.3km @ 5:46/km

Saturday - Parkrun(5k) - 4:18/km - Due to a bit of a party for my daughter who turned 18 we had about 30 of her friends in the house so didn't get to bed until well after 3 so was delighted with myself for even getting out of bed never mind running :) Total time was 21:35 which I was really happy with

Sunday - 14km @ 5:53/km - Really struggled to slow down, went 20 seconds per km faster than I'd planned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am still plugging away at my target of running every day in January while loosely following the marathon plan. At this point it looks likely I will hit my stretch goal of 200 miles in January (165 miles after my run this morning).

Running for the last 2 weeks up until Sunday has been (in kms)

Mostly slow or very slow runs but I did the progression run per the marathon plan. I am short a long run this week but things have been just too crazy to fit it in. Will get one in next weekend although I have a night out planned for Friday which might throw a spanner in the works 🥂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

So how many of us are racing Raheny later?

Goals for the race?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Me.

Aiming for sub 37 although it is a couple of years since I have ran a 5 mile race so a bit of an unknown for me.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Advertisement

Great thanks. My January training paid off and I was much faster than I expected. I knew I was on for a good time when after 5km I had already broken my 5k pb by 7 seconds 🤣. Ended up at 35:04 for the 5 mile 😃

How did you go?

That is incredible PR, you're so right, the Jan training, on top of what you did last year has rewarded you today. A 5 mile and a 5k PB in the same race. Haha, awesome! See, I told you that PR nickname was apt 😀

I had a good day at the office, got a nice 50 second PB. I did feel a pb was very achievable but am delighted with how much I shaved off. Got a lot of help from @scotindublin who was pacing some of his Donore comrades. He saw me on Sybil Hill Rd and offered his services. I reckon he gave me at least 25 secs. Delighted.

Very well done man, so happy you nailed it.

Onwards.

50 second pb is some improvement. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

My update and race report from Rahney 5 mile.

Monday was interval sessions. After a long drive to an all day workshop with work it'd been a long long and rocked up a 7 12 hours after setting out in the morning but really needed this in order to clear the head and forget the day. The coach has started running these session to keep warm and it's great as I've got someone to chase. Session was a mixture of 100's 200's and 400's (x5). 100's at ~20seconds, 200's at 41seconds, 400's at 83seconds however I cracked on the second to last one at 86 seconds and then had to dig deep to get 89 seconds for the last one. Very happy with the session as it's really pushing me on with these times. I know that aim here is to not die off at the end however I know this is working towards speed endurance and that's what I need to work on.

Could get out for my Tuesday run with lone parenting, Wednesday 12k easy and Friday 10k easy and was happy that the HR is starting to settle down into the range I would expect for these. Aim is for under 140 at 5.30/40 min/k pace. As the fitness gets better it should be consistently below the 140.

Rahney 5 mile. I was looking forward to this race, my first outing was last year and I found it a great experience, lovely route, great crowd and I love the packed running field and the bit of weaving and dodging. My wife was doing this as well so we got the kids packed off to the grandparents easily however we were running a bit late, a short power cut had knocked out the clock in the bedroom and kitchen and happened to re-set to half an hour earlier than it really was! So it was a bit of a rush but we got there in good enough time, locked the bikes and did the bag drop. Got into the starting area early enough and were more towards the front. We'd agreed to start together so I could get MrsJinx up and moving safely enough and then I'd head off myself. Sure enough a couple of hundred meters in she tapped me and told me to push on and that she was fine to let everybody move around her now.

I head off so and picked up a bit of speed, picking the left footpath to make my way around the crowd and move on through. Pace was feeling fine and was aiming to keep it somewhere just above 4m/k. About 2/3k in I come across @Murph_D and give a little call out however he is in deep concentration. I also see @skyblue46 ahead, taking it handy! I decide to just sit in here and maintain my composure. I think around 4km I see someone come up onto my shoulder and isn't it only @Laineyfrecks. I say hello and mumble about putting the music back on and letting her work away as she was looking very strong and moving at a good lick. She didn't get that far ahead though as we wound up tag teaming for almost the whole rest of the race. We'd each be taking up the pace as the other was backing off and visa versa. I personally love having someone to run like that with whether I know them or not as it's great motivation to keep going through the hard part and boy were there hard parts. I really struggled up and down through Saint Anne's park. the headwind on the way up took the wind out of my sails a bit and I needed a bit of a breather on the way back. I was still working but I'd dropped off the pace a fair bit and Lainey had taken up the lead and was moving away from me. I persevered but it definitely felt very hard. I was only able to muster up the sprint as we came round the final bend, there was only holding on before that.

Finish time 33:34. I just popped it into the running converter for last year time which was a long race and I'm 4 seconds slower than last year. Not surprised, I felt I ran a better race last year and finished stronger. In hindsight I was definitely more focused for last years race and hadn't had the couple of bouts of sickness (and working as long hours) so was running more consistently. I didn't set off too quick but probably had higher expectations based on the marathon block and where my paces had got to. If it hadn't been for the company along the course I probably wouldn't have dug in as deep. Overall not bad but not great either. Onwards and upwards for the next one and getting more miles in the legs over the spring.

Edited to say that MrsJinx had a great race. First time out and she came in just over 40 minutes. We had done a park run together a couple of weeks ago and she came in at 24:30 so I said that in this race she would be totally able to keep to 5m/k pace and she came in a 4:58 m/k pace. She was absolutely chuffed and held her own the whole way through. Starting with her helped a good bit as in a couple of races she hasn't had the confidence to start where she should and then wound up being held up a lot and not running to her own pace.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on what looked like a good race to me, not a PB but a really good solid effort so take the good parts from it. Was glad to have you to run beside for a bit then the tag team efforts was good, kept us both honest. You have so much potential & as we know every race can't be a PB but from where I was looking it was a good performance on the day, with your consistency & hard work you are going to knock chunks off your PB's in the future!! Delighted for your OH too, what a great achievement for her😊

Well done again!

• Advertisement

Thanks Lainey :-) I just think in my head that I should have been able to take it up a step compared to last year and the training I've put in over the course of last year. But as you say not every race can be a PB and I can accept that and look forward to the days when they come, hopefully :-) Unfortunately I always set myself a high bar so when it doesn't materialise it can be a little disappointing but I've a positive attitude so that helps in getting back on the horse again!

My wife was delighted - she placed ~ top 15% in her AG - this has given her a real confidence boost and I'm delighted for her

Congrats on the weekend runs guys, some brilliant times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A great run, P, and give yourself a break and don't compare to last year - that converter was a bit of fun but I wouldn't trust it much more than that. A strong performance, and an excellent run too from the OH. Nice to have those few words with you afterwards.

Just one comment (and don't take this the wrong way, because at one stage of my running 'career' it was pointed out to me as well) - if you are running on the footpath you are (usually) not running on the course. Real runners stick to the road! 😉

Looks like an error on the results but if you sort by chip time the winner is a different person and broke the women's 5 mile world record 💪

Yeah P, as others have said, you're being a bit harsh on yourself after what was a pretty phenomenal performance. Murph is right too about the calculator from last year.

I get what you're saying though about expecting more from the work you've put in, but don't judge that on one race.

Delighted for your wife, similar with my own, she shaved a good chunk off her pb and was delighted with herself too. It's great to have that as a couple.

Fair enough, no offence taken 😀 I'll remember that for next time!

Thanks and yes it's great to be able to share a hobbie and understand what's involved and get to run together sometimes

I'd a lighter week last week due being away with work, I did have a major highlight on Saturday at Naas Parkrun when I took 58 seconds of my 5km PB to finish in 20:19 which is I was pretty darn pleased with.

This week is week 1 of 17 training for the Cork marathon, I'm going to follow the Meno plan. I'm a bit worried there might be a bit too much running for me but will see how it goes for 3-4 weeks.

Did a decent bit of running this week

Mon - 11.5km slow

Tues - 15 km slow and hilly which rounded off my January 31 day running streak hitting 216 miles for the month.

I took a day off on Wednesday with another 15km on Thurs and 9 miles in Friday both slow

Like masterK I smashed my 5k pb in St Anne's on Saturday morning taking 43 seconds off my previous best parkrun/5k.

I was camping on Saturday night with scouts and got zero sleep so took the day off on Sunday aswell.

My eye went off the marathon training plan in the last couple of weeks so I will hit that with renewed vigour this week

Weight is 4kg lower now than it was on Jan 1 after pigging out over Xmas,

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Passed 230k for the year today. Body still holding up ok. Would like to do some cross training.

• Advertisement

Look at you guys smashing parkrun pbs. What are ya like.

That's really amazing. @masterK I think once you're able to fit that extra running into your lifestyle, and you're careful with the effort levels it will drive you on so much in terms of fitness. For me the game changer last year was adding that extra day in to my routine, and generally upping the mileage.

@Pawwed Rig Awesome stuff with your January streak. You should take great comfort in the mental strength and determination you have to follow that through, especially so doing it in dark and dreary Jan.

@[Deleted User] What have you got in mind for cross? Good solid mileage btw.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

90 min boards group run in the Phoenix Park this Sun at 9am.

Would be great to see some of you there. Good oul coffee and scones afterwards.

Visitor centre carpark is the meetup.

• Not sure. Thinking of some spinning classes. Would like to do pilates as well. Todays 16m went alright. Got my times mixed up and ended up doing them at 5.13 a km

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Another decent week for me with an eye on week 3 of the marathon planner.

Monday - 2 hour slow run

Tuesday - 15km hilly

Wednesday - handy 7 miles

Thursday - another 15km incorporating the 8 x 3min CV with 2 mins jog in between.

Friday - took a day off

Sat - 15km (essentially 3 x 5km runs). My 8 year old did his first 5km parkrun so I ran with him. Proud Dad 😊💪

Sun - another day off.

There was also a 30km cycle thrown in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Been a mental few weeks for myself so updates here have been lacking.

Still managing to get 4/5 runs in each week and legs are feeling great, they were a little sore for a week or two until i got use to the increase in mileage but all good now.

Last week

Monday - 12k @ 5:40

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - Rest (Meant to be an interval session but time wasn't on my side this week)

Thursday - 8km @5:30

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 12km - 6km @5:40 and then 6km @ 5:20

Sunday - 18km @ 5:40

Total mileage for the week 50km

Total Mileage for the year so far - 239km

I've signed up for the Naas 10 mile run in March so first race of the year and chasing a PB :)

I'd a pretty solid week, getting 62km in total.

Mon: 12km

Wed: 13.5 (including 8x800 intervals at 4:20km/h pace)

Thur: 7.5km

Sat: 21km

Sun: 8km

Great stuff man. Not a massive deal to miss your Wed session but would definitely try not to miss too many in the block.

I do think you're a little too nippy on your easy days. You're obviously well capable of that pace but with increased mileage and a couple of session days I think it would serve you a lot better to drop that back to 6 min+. It will leave you a lot fresher for your Wed session and your Sunday long run, maximising the return from them. Reducing injury risk also.

Solid stuff though.

• Missed this weekends 18miler due to covid. Think I'll be back on Tuesday so 4 days missed not the end of the world.

So how is everyone getting on?

Tell me what's next as your target race, and what's the goal for it.

Want to fill your boots with confidence 👊

• Advertisement

I'd been going well, I'd completed the first 3 weeks of the Meno training plan with the goal being Cork in June. However stupidly this week I pulled something in my back doing deadlifts in the gym which put me out of action for most of the week. Thankfully it's a step back week so I didn't miss too much.

My shorter term goal is the Wicklow half at the end of the month. I went just under 1:43 in my last HM (DCM half), I think I've improved since but not sure how to tackle Wicklow as it's pretty hilly so I'll probably be conservative the for the first 13-14km and see how I feel.

Advertisement