Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age are you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Some commentary above about people living longer, for years would hear death notices on local radio.never had a face for the person, till now, so didn't know what age they may have often been.

A lot of young photographs & faces there. So I'm not entirely convinced we are living longer than people before our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Around here it is in decline with oul men anyway. I don't think this poll will reflect that, simply because the older generation aren't online to vote. Maybe a poll asking what's the average age of farmers in your village might throw up a different answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

it's fine to predict people born now will live to 100. the only people that have done it so far were born in te 1920s. they grew up in hard times . things got more mechanised as thy got older. electricity arrived. modern conveniences came along and eased their lives as they aged. not as much mental or peer pressure as today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm polled out now, someone else can do that one...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

53 here ,often say to herself that she d be doing well to get another 20 years out of me.also tell the kids that they made me old because i was young before they came.to be honest age shouldnt mean anything,started back playing 5 a side soccer couple of years ago and it took years off me(maybe not the first few nights).it would be so rude to ask whelan what zge you are but then i probaly dont qaulify as a gentleman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Category is 61 -70, ...... when asked my age I say 70, it's only spoilt kids that claim they're seven and a quarter or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A lot of photographs from years before they died you mean, ego is a terrible thing, even in death.

Science has really moved on, my mother had a similar heart condition to myself and probably wouldn't have died at seventy had she had a pacemaker put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When I posted a few posts back I posted a link to the CSO. It copied slightly wrong and I re copied it on the post

Its from the CSO and show Ireland change in life expectancy over the last 150+ years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am in doubt of people living longer then the people born in the early 1900's ,all my grandparents lived to mid 80's where as already 2 of my sons grandparent died in their late 60's .cancer to me is the elephant in the room where stastics show that 1 in 2 people will get some form of cancer nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's an absolute blackspot for cancer not far from where I live. People will say it's because you have to die of something in the end. But there's people in their 20's up succumbing.

I know houses are more airtight, could be radon gas. But there's more radiation and electrical devices nowadays that weren't there in the past. Food and water is also another pathway for damage to be done to the body.

Just my own observation. People I've seen who thought themselves health conscious and would consume plant oil spreads over butter have died early in life. And again but maybe it is the area but I can't help but feel is a major factor,..from cancer.

As a species food is being phucked around with too much. Especially so when we haven't evolved by eating such foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could be wrong but the increase in life expectancy is as much to do with less childhood deaths/ infant mortality than people actually living a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm with Billy Connelly on this one. In the whole brown versus white bread debate, even if you do live a year longer by eating brown bread. You get that extra year in your 90s. Not in your 20s, when you're partying your ass off.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ah but when you are 89 an extra year is a lot! I agree with Mooo childhood mortality was a lot higher until recently. It would be interesting to compare what life expectancy for 5 year olds in 1900 was compared to 5 year olds today.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Its the quality of life though, no point living until you're 95 and not knowing who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have 5 farmers mearning us here. 4 bachelors all over 60, two over 75

The chap is over 60 has a family but it’s an out farm and they live maybe 5 miles away it’s a farm they inherited.

My aunt was 88 a while ago. Her family threw a birthday party fir her 3 weeks ago. Got covid after. Was in hospital, now in a home as no care package available. Its a fecker to have cocooned for so long and get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

A lot more people diagnosed with cancer these days, there is also a lot more screening for cancer and a lot less sudden unexplained deaths. A cancer diagnosis is also far less of a death sentence than it once was. Probably a lot more undiagnosed cancers in the 1900's, it's not a new disease and has existed for millions of years long before humans walked the earth. Although we definitely can and have created environments and diets for ourselves that don't help. There was far more heavy smokers and no shortage of air pollution in built up areas for most of the 1900's either.

Advertisement