Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Officer interview local authority

• 10-11-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Really need your help with this! I am an assistant staff officer in a local authority, I have been called for interview in another local authority as a staff officer. I know its competency based and i have done competency based interviews before (lots of them) My issue is that I did a staff officer interview before with my own local authority before and I didnt get it but found it impossible to get anything other than very generic feedback that really didnt help me at all in relation to improving performance. I found the questions really difficult.

What did you (personally) bring to your current job? I talked specifically about different things i had introduced to the office but that did not seem to be what they wanted. I really felt that they wanted me to compare myself to my predecessor (who had been there for many many years) and i felt at a loss.

What would you do if the chairperson of your MD meeting wanted to abstain from a vote. I said that I would always have a copy of the standing orders with me to consult if unexpected situations arose. Also wrong answer. Very very specific questions which floored me.

Then lastly what would do if you had an issue with a member of staff that you was reporting to you. I spoke about tackling the issue asap by speaking to the person but they seemed to want me to go down the PMDS route which is fine if PMDS is around the time that the issue is but you would hardly 'save' the issue until the PMDS?

Any help from someone who has been in this situation would be fantastic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CorkyLG

Hi hope your interview for staff officer went well ?

I have an interview for Assistant Staff officer coming up for a local County Council, and wonder if you can give me a few pointers? I am completely new to thos area...Is the interview very difficult and grilling?

There are 4 competencies that I am preparing for, however I am struggling with the competency 'Purpose & Change' - any tips for this?

Any suggestions welcome 🙏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Could you both give examples of interview questions if possible?

Advertisement