Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decathlon expanding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Delighted to see them coming to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

south Dublin somewhere seems an obvious one, but I guess they need a decent site. Carrickmines would be a good location but they'd be stepping on the toes of some of the existing retailers there (Halfords and 53 Degrees for a start).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Can't see another one in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A city the size of Dublin in France would have 4 or 5 Decathlons dotted around the outskirts and a smaller one in the city centre. Another one in Dublin would probably make a more money than one in (say) Waterford. Besides, it literally says in the linked article that they're looking at Dublin in their expansion plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah they’ve 2 in Liverpool, two in Manchester, 2 in Edinburgh etc, another in Dublin out by Tallaght or that direction wouldn’t surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bordeaux, which is a bit smaller than Dublin, has as you say 4 in retail parks and one city center. I've only been in the one near the velofrome (where Boardman broke the hour record), and it was quite big. This is one big difference I find. The Ballymun store I found to be surprisingly small - most decent sized French cities would have at least one Decathlon Village style store. Nantes, about half Dublins population, has 4 stores - one Village, another sieable, and not sure about the other 2.

Now, that said, a lot of the stores in the Paris region would be similar to Dublin, so it may be that size is proportional to land price and Limerick (or Waterford 😁) where land prices aren't as barmy, may end up with a flagship store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Apples v oranges IMHO.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong obviously but I much rather see a new store serving another part of the country.

Advertisement