Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public/civil servant expenses

Options
  • 11-11-2022 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I have a basic question which I'm.just being nosey about...

If someone stayed drove to and overnight in Ireland for a conferene (and paid their own hotel) are they entitled to claim:

Mileage to and from conference venue

Hotel rate

Overnight subsistence (or does this include the hotel rate?)

Day subsistence also.

Seems like an obscene amount of money for work purposes so just wondering if I'm misunderstanding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not that straightforward and overnight subsistence is to cover accommodation.

Civil service rates (revenue.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Reduced rate milage to and from office/home (whichever is closest) to the conference venue - full rate milage is only claimable when the travel is directly related to the performance of duties.

Overnight subsistence which covers everything, including the hotel, for 24 hours and maybe the 5 or 10 hour rate too depending on the length of the journey.

And whatever meals are provided must be deducted from the subsistence rate.

E.g.: leave home at 6pm on Tuesday for conference on Wednesday and get home at 8pm Wednesday so claim overnight rate plus reduced rate milage

or leave home at 6am Tuesday for 2-day conference and get home at 8pm on Wednesday so claim overnight & 10-hour subsistence plus reduced rate milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would also depend on whether there was any reasonable public transport option available.

what's this doing in state benefits ffs

Advertisement