Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the requirements to show boarding pass at embarkation been abolishec ?

Options
  • 12-11-2022 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I always thought it was an IAA requirement to ask the passengers for their boarding pass just after embarkation as a final double check that they’re on the right flight.

I noticed the past while it hasn’t been done on FR.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I actually noticed this on my last FR flight. The attendant seemed busy/rushed so I thought no more of it at the time....until I saw this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

I noticed something similar on a few Emerald Airlines flights recently, so I asked if they needed to see it when boarding a few days ago and the flight attendant said no. Seems like a recent enough change - I seem to remember them checking them only a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I THINK it died out during Covid. It was always a silly rule IMO anyway and only ever happened to me on flights to/from Ireland. You've been checked at the gate anyway, why again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Seems to just be airline policy now. Get checked on Aer Lingus regularly.

It's to confirm you're on the right plane I suppose. Bit pointless when you go straight from the gate onto the air bridge but people are idiots and could very easily wander onto the wrong plane boarding via the ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My experience is that your boarding pass is checked when you pass through the gate onto the airbridge and checked again when you enter the aircraft. But I have always understood that the second check is just to identify your seat and steer you in the right direction. If that's so, on flights with unassigned seating the second check would be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

You would be surprised at the amount of people that actually do get on board the incorrect aircraft, which is caught at the door check.

A second reason for the check at the door is that it meets the IAA requirement to not have to do a head count of people on board which is what was done in the past. It always delayed things as crew had to wait until everyone was seated before doing so and invariably in the rush/distraction numbers didn’t come back as expected, thus requiring a second count.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I was told boarding a Ryanair flight about 1 year ago that they don't check anymore as I was showing it to the attendant (my first flight post covid) and multiple Ryanair lights later it has never been checked. Aer lingus on the other hand are still checking as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There was the case of the young girl in Shannon in the 1990s who was supposed to be on a Manx Airlines Europe flight to Manchester, and ended up on one to Minsk. She boarded the wrong aircraft.

As far as I am aware, it's always been up to the individual airlines whether they do a check at the aircraft door or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Ryanair haven’t been checking since the Covid re start. They now announce, anyone whose destination is not x please make themselves known to cabin crew immediately. This might get around it somehow.

Some of the general travelling public are not clued in at all. They easily go wandering on to other planes. Particularly the way Ryanair set up is with flights boarding close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

It's airline specific. BA & Ryanair did away with it years ago. I'm surprised Ryanair haven't kept it as they have the most flights where people walk on. In some parts of dublin you could see how mistakes could be made if there wasn't enough ground staff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Advertisement