Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compensation for victims of child sexual abuse

• 12-11-2022 9:59pm

I was just wondering what the story is with compensation for victims of child sexual abuse. I'm hearing that adults are being compensated for sexual abuse well over twenty years after it has happened. Are these stories true or is it fake news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Courts do award compensation where liablity and damage have been established, yes. And many cases settle before going to court, with agreed compensation being paid, because the defendants expect that they would lose in court.

Why would you imagine that this was fake news?

I would've of thought the statute of limitations would of applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It does. But there are exemptions to the usual limitation periods for actions brought in respect of injuries inflicted on children. Plaintiffs have to bring themselves within those exemptions.

Thank you

Advertisement