Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if engineer for new build gone AWOL

• 13-11-2022 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We are building a new house and engaged an engineer to do interim inspections and final sign off. He had also handled our planning application. He was hard to get hold of but we got planning so that was the main thing! We have a contractor who we are generally happy with.

We are not using a mortgage to fund the build so we don't need engineer's certification for that. Engineer was due to inspect roof 3 weeks ago. As far as I know he didn't come. Can't contact him now. No response to emails or WhatsApp, when I ring office they say he's out and will call me back. He did inspect at foundation level for sure and said he did at wall plate but i have no proof of that. Have got no report etc, he just said everything was fine at those stages and he'd provide full report at end. Actually we discovered issues he should have noticed but we just resolved them with the builder directly. My question is, can we just proceed without him? Do we need inspections for anything other than mortgage? Could we get another engineer to step in for final inspection or will they only sign off if they've been inspecting all along?

Advertisement